CNET Editors' review
Pawn is a basic chess game designed for beginners. It's nothing fancy, but that's exactly the point; it lets users hone their chess skills in a simple, easy-to-navigate environment.
The interface is clean, with a wood grain chess board and traditional, easy-to-recognize chess pieces. Gameplay is as easy as dragging and dropping the pieces into the appropriate spots. The program helpfully outlines the opponent's last move in yellow so that novice players can keep up with the action. The built-in Help file adequately explains the program's features, but does not provide any information on how chess is played; true beginners will need to look elsewhere to find the rules. While many chess games allow users to fuss around with different styles of boards and pieces, Pawn sticks to the basics, with a few extra features throw in specifically for beginners. Users can move the action backward and forward to analyze their and their opponent's strategy. The computer's error level can also be adjusted so that the game's difficulty is gradually increased as the player improves. We haven't played chess in years and appreciated being able to set the program to an enjoyably challenging level; we didn't win, but we were evenly matched against the computer.
Pawn is free with no limitations. The program comes as a ZIP file and does install a desktop icon without asking, but it uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program for beginning and intermediate chess players, or anyone looking for a functional, no-frills chess game.
From Thomas Starke:
Pawn is a freeware chess program with an easy to use interface especially for beginners and intermediate players. Playing strength reaches up to club level but can be adjusted in several options. A special beginner's mode lets the program make mistakes. The window is resizable.
In version 3.10 new game changes sides now.
What's new in this version: In version 3.21, installer has been removed and compatibility with Aero is improved.
More Products to Consider
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe with this skin pack.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Guide jumping plumber past obstacles to save Mario's true love.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Fight for humanity against an alien onslaught.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Optimize your PC and boost your games by one click.
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Take a spin around three tracks with three car modes.
- Defeat evil Bowser and his army of small soldiers.
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Provide live scoreboards for snooker, billiards and pool with f...
- Destroy invading aliens before they overrun the Galaxy.
- Draw sheet maker for all sports and tournaments.
- Provide Billiards scoreboard control for all sized monitors.
- Update the look and feel of GTA 3 with this add-on.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Wish It would download to desktop"
Version: Pawn 3.21
Looks like it is well designed game. Very challenging according to anyone who has played it.....
It onoy comes in portable form and will not download except to Zip and portable form...
useless to me unless it can download and store on my laptopand give me an .exe file..
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content