CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will download a small installer file to your desktop. Remain online and double-click the installer to proceed with the actual download.
CNET Editors' reviewThis program quickly transforms a variety of file types into PDFs, though serious stability problems negate many of its positives. For example, when we tried to covert a small, three-page Word document to a PDF file, the program froze up, forcing us to disable via the Task Manager. Once we finally got the utility to work, we found the interface bland and inconvenient. The app supports a variety of popular file types, including DOC, XLS, and JPEG. However, we think the interface could be better designed; as it stands, you must access different tabs when you want to tweak settings for each file type. The feature set is rather slim, allowing you to perform a number of actions after your PDF has been created. For example, you can choose to open the file, set a password, send it to the printer, or apply compression. You can convert files in batch mode, but in our tests this option seemed best-suited to documents of the same type. If you don't encounter the same stability issues we did, PDF Builder will make a passable option.
From SkySof Software:
With PDF Builder you can create PDF files on the fly from many file types including text, XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, DWG, DXF, PPT, PPTX, VSD, VDX and MS Access Reports. The file information is stored in a project database so you can re-create your PDF files at any time by simply clicking a button. You can also drag and drop files from Window's Explorer onto the main screen of PDF Builder which will combine all the files into a single PDF file. After the PDF has been built you have the option of adding page headers with date/time and page numbers, setting an open password, sending the PDF to a specific printer, uploading the PDF to a web page, copying the PDF to a folder, reducing the file size and opening the PDF.
What's new in this version: Version 3.3 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Transfer PDF files and objects to OneNote.
- Concatenate and extract PDF files.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- View all the Fonts installed on PC.
- Install new extensions and manage the ones you already have.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Get a graphic tool that provides a standard for typesetting mat...
- Zip and unzip files instantly, protect them by encryption, or b...
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Plot geographic information system data.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Professional PDF writer software to convert files into PDF. Vis...
- Create assemblies up to 60 parts and design product parts on PC...
- Remote control computers via the Internet, take part in online ...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Get a PDF editor and form filler to pen and edit PDF files onli...
All versions:2.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"The New Version Works GREAT and is now FREE!"
Version: PDF Builder 3.1.2
The new version no longer requires Adobe Acrobat and is now free. There are many improvements over the old version, especially in SPEED. It took me only about 10 seconds to create a PDF from 7 Word documents. I also tried converting XLSX, VDX and image files to PDF and it worked flawlessly!
MS Office 2007 or greater is required.
I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants a free app to create PDFs from various file types. Some other useful features is the ability to store a "script" of PDF-related data so the PDF can be generated at a future date. PDF Builder can be run from the command prompt in quiet mode also.
"Current version is 3.6, not 2.0.55."
Version: PDF Builder 2.0.55
Responsive author, clean interface, does exactly what it says it will.
This program has no cons, that is the current version.
I don't understand why CNET is carrying this outdated version of the program. If you want the latest version, you should go to the home page for the program. I'll contact CNET and see if I can get them to start carrying the current version.
"53 : File not found Error combining PDF files. 5 : Invalid procedure call or ar"
Version: PDF Builder 2.0.55
I got the same problem as the first reviewer. 53 : File not found Error combining PDF files. 5 : Invalid procedure call or argument
"Program bombs in Windows"
Version: PDF Builder 2.0.55
I doubt their paid version would work as it cannot find the file I need to convert. As soon as you load a file, you get a file not found message. Very frustrating.
"Needs Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional installed"
Version: PDF Builder 2.0.54
You must have Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional installed to use PDF Builder. Adobe Acrobat Reader alone is not sufficient to use PDF Builder. In addition, you need Adobe Acrobat
Distiller installed which is included in the setup program for Acrobat. Something they failed to mention.