CNET Editors' review
This is not a flashback to the chart-defying tricks of ambient house music progenitors The Orb, although if you have their music you can use this Orb to play it anywhere. No, this Orb melds module-based personal portals with your hard drive's media content and lets you stream it to almost any Internet-connected handheld device.
The setup will probably be challenging to users who aren't familiar with how to open ports, but, fortunately, there's plenty of help in Orb's user forums. Once you're good to go, the program launches in your browser and you can choose whether you want your video module to be front and center, how wide your music module should be, and if you really need yet another weather widget.
Uploading your media files is a time-consuming and tedious process that could be greatly improved upon. After that, you can "MyCast" them. MyCasting is what Orb's publisher calls Webcasting when done with its program. If your home PC has coaxial access, you can stream television, as well as photos, video files, and music.
By circumventing the need to reload media files on a second machine and having the handheld connection, Orb seems pretty nifty. The system requirements, though, are stringent, and the upload process is slow-going, making this a useful product with room for improvement.
From Orb Networks:
Orb takes the home out of home entertainment. Orb gives you secure access to the digital media on your home PC through a Web interface. Orb streams your content safely to virtually any Internet-connected device. Just install the Orb software on your PC, and then access your media anywhere.
Version 1.01.0673 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Convert your MP3 files fast and easily.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Compress video files to transmit them fast over computer networ...
- Convert MP4 files to MP3 format.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 22 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A must have for sports fan!!!"
Version: Orb 1.01.0673
I have been using it for the last few days to stream the World Cup matches to my job. It runs smooth, but may pause twice but starts back with no jump forward, nothing to install expect on your home PC and no traces left behind. I have seen every goal scored and great save. Save me over $250 dollars. GO T&T!!
Only one person can stream the TV feed at once. Not the sharpest picture but it's still the best option.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content