CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
There's no doubt that Netflix revolutionized the entertainment biz with its online service for renting movies. The company is fixing to continue its entertainment coup on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch with a free app that we've got to say is so far a joy to use.
Its straightforward design starts off with a home screen that shows off fun, featured content like "goofy crime comedies" and "dark dramas based on contemporary literature." Of course you can also browse for flicks and shows by more typical genres, like Action and Television. The app shows you all the show details: the rating, synopsis, and the list of episodes for TV shows.
This is all well and good, but the real power of the Netflix app is the ability to add content to your "instant queue" for on-demand streaming, or just play the video on the fly. The instant queue contains shows you've added online or from the mobile app, which means you can stream those movies and TV episodes directly to your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Video quality was excellent in our iPhone 4 and iPad tests in areas with strong connectivity; we noticed no bumps or breakups. The playback controls include a button to slightly adjust screen dimensions, plus there's a handy button to take you back 30 seconds if you didn't catch a part or want to see a killer scene over again.
What happens if you have to stop the show midway? Netflix keeps tabs of your place, and you can pick up where you left off from the top of the Home screen. If you close the app, the next time you load it you'll also have the option to resume playback from your drop-off point. It's like an automatic digital bookmark.
Although the app itself is free, you will need to subscribe to Netflix to take advantage. You can do so for about $9 a month, or sign up for a free 30-day trial before committing. The Netflix app really focuses on on-demand streaming; it does not currently manage your rentals queue, but we certainly wouldn't kick and scream if it did that as well.Stream Netflix on your iPhone:
Get Netflix on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix. Its part of your Netflix unlimited membership. Not a Netflix member? Start your FREE trial today. Watch as often as you want Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer Browse movies and manage your instant Queue right from your device
What's new in this version: * Support for video out on iPhone 4 and iPod 4th Gen * Bug Fixes
More Products to Consider
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Record and perform multi tracking operations directly on your m...
- Watch and record online TV Channels worldwide, Justin.tv channe...
- Create simple cartoon image just import and clicking create car...
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Use your photo images to show you what makeup and hair style an...
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Analyze you and your partner inherent characteristics to judge ...
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Play and record MIDI files with a piano simulation.
- Find and play Internet video.
- Watch real strippers stripping directly on your computer taskba...
- Create and communicate with a verbally enhanced software robot.
- Manage movies, TV series, or collection of actors.
- Make your Fantasy Football draft feel like a simulated NFL draf...
- Create digital draft board designed for HDTVs.
- Offer current and upcoming event information on Windows 8 devic...
- Learn how to play and practice playing on fretted instruments.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great app, middling technology"
Version: Netflix 1.1.1
The Netflix app does everything it promises to, including letting subscribers search for content and manage their queues. Other television and movie apps could learn much from it.
Streaming from Netflix is not living up to the hype. Many Americans' broadband and wireless connections are not fast enough to support streaming. Their content arrives pixilated, with the sound dropping out, or freezing up altogether.
A good app is undermined by the technology it relies on. Netflix's support of the also-ran Microsoft program Silverlight is a miss because it is not compatible with iOS. You will get better delivery and speeds using Netflix on your Mac or PC.
Ironically, Netflix recently raised its prices despite the problems with streaming.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content