CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
There's no doubt that Netflix revolutionized the entertainment biz with its online service for renting movies. The company is fixing to continue its entertainment coup on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch with a free app that we've got to say is so far a joy to use.
Its straightforward design starts off with a home screen that shows off fun, featured content like "goofy crime comedies" and "dark dramas based on contemporary literature." Of course you can also browse for flicks and shows by more typical genres, like Action and Television. The app shows you all the show details: the rating, synopsis, and the list of episodes for TV shows.
This is all well and good, but the real power of the Netflix app is the ability to add content to your "instant queue" for on-demand streaming, or just play the video on the fly. The instant queue contains shows you've added online or from the mobile app, which means you can stream those movies and TV episodes directly to your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Video quality was excellent in our iPhone 4 and iPad tests in areas with strong connectivity; we noticed no bumps or breakups. The playback controls include a button to slightly adjust screen dimensions, plus there's a handy button to take you back 30 seconds if you didn't catch a part or want to see a killer scene over again.
What happens if you have to stop the show midway? Netflix keeps tabs of your place, and you can pick up where you left off from the top of the Home screen. If you close the app, the next time you load it you'll also have the option to resume playback from your drop-off point. It's like an automatic digital bookmark.
Although the app itself is free, you will need to subscribe to Netflix to take advantage. You can do so for about $9 a month, or sign up for a free 30-day trial before committing. The Netflix app really focuses on on-demand streaming; it does not currently manage your rentals queue, but we certainly wouldn't kick and scream if it did that as well.Stream Netflix on your iPhone:
Get Netflix on your iPad. Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix. Its part of your Netflix unlimited membership. Not a Netflix member? Start your FREE trial today. Watch as often as you want Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer Browse movies and manage your Queue right from your iPad
What's new in this version: Netflix app now supports iPhone and iPod Touch in addition to iPad.
More Products to Consider
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Get professional statistics reporting for your cricket club, te...
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Manage leagues of various kinds of sports.
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Create and check your personal lottery number selections.
- Improve your music skills by playing songs while staying in tun...
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Make your Fantasy Football draft feel like a simulated NFL draf...
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Provide multiple multimedia solutions bundled in one mainframe.
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Schedule your sports league games.
- Find and play Internet video.
- Organize any kind of social or company golf tournament from reg...
- Get a daily horoscope and zodiac advice.
- Watch DStv Mobile's or GOtv Mobile's DVB-H mobile television br...
- Learn the bases of music theory.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"App is broken"
Version: Netflix for iPhone, iPad 1.4
No I will enter at least 10 characters...
There are features you can't turn off.
Netflix added "Post play" to the app with no way to turn it off. Bad move.
Version: Netflix for iPhone, iPad 1.4
With the right cables, you can stream it into your TV and watch movies on a large screen.
You do need to manage your instant queue from your main computer, but that's hardly a big deal.
"Does what it says"
Version: Netflix for iPhone, iPad 1.2
Surprisingly it worked fine
Nothing. No streaming interruptions . . .
"Great app, middling technology"
Version: Netflix for iPhone, iPad 1.1.1
The Netflix app does everything it promises to, including letting subscribers search for content and manage their queues. Other television and movie apps could learn much from it.
Streaming from Netflix is not living up to the hype. Many Americans' broadband and wireless connections are not fast enough to support streaming. Their content arrives pixilated, with the sound dropping out, or freezing up altogether.
A good app is undermined by the technology it relies on. Netflix's support of the also-ran Microsoft program Silverlight is a miss because it is not compatible with iOS. You will get better delivery and speeds using Netflix on your Mac or PC.
Ironically, Netflix recently raised its prices despite the problems with streaming.
"Nice app for "instant view" movies & shows"
Version: Netflix for iPhone, iPad 1.1.0
this app works well for netflix movies & tv that are "instant views"
can't manage netflix que for movies & shows that are NOT instant views. that would be a nice upgrade, would get 5 stars then.
app should specifically say that it is for streaming & managing "instant view" items only.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content