CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Perfect for outdoors enthusiasts, Google's My Tracks app records your path, speed, distance, and even elevation while you walk, run, bike, or do anything else that a GPS signal can follow. And for those who are a bit more serious about their training, the app even lets you hook up with a few third-party Bluetooth biometric sensors, including Zephyr HxM, Polar WearLink, and ANT+ monitors.
To get started, just open up My Tracks and hit the record button at the top of the screen. From there, so long as you have a strong GPS signal, My Tracks will plot your path on a Google Map, and keep track of vital statistics including speed, distance, time, average speed, and max speed. You can even drop route markers and enable voice notifications at specific distances or times.
Once you're done, just hit the stop button at the top, and input a name for your trip, activity type, and a short description. All of your records will be saved under My Tracks, so you can access them and share them at any time.
From any of your saved Tracks, you can see your path on a Map or read all of your statistics. Also, there's a chart you can pull up, which displays the elevation changes throughout your recorded trip. One thing I love is the playback feature, which "flies" you along your path on a Google Earth satellite image. And, of course, you can share tracks via Android's share menu. You can use this to send friends all the statistics from your trip, plus a link to the Google Map page with your route plotted out.
While My Tracks isn't exactly one of Google's more popular apps, I do think it's poised for some growth. It's incredibly useful, and since it's open source, I can imagine countless third-party developers incorporating its route-recording technology into their projects.
My Tracks records your path, speed, distance, and elevation while you walk, run, bike, or do anything else outdoors. While recording, you can view your data live, annotate your path, and hear periodic voice announcements of your progress.
With My Tracks, you can share your GPS tracks and stats online:
- Via Google+, Facebook, or Twitter
- Using Google Maps, Google Fusion Tables, or Google Docs
- As a GPX, KML, CSV, or TCX file
My Tracks uses the GPS sensor in your phone to record geographic and velocity statistics, but the app also syncs with third-party biometric sensors, including:
- Zephyr HxM Bluetooth heart rate monitor
- Polar WearLink Bluetooth heart rate monitor
- ANT+ heart rate and speed distance monitors (these require an ANT+ compatible phone)
What's new in this version:
- Pause and resume recording
- New UI for controlling recording
- Updated home screen widget
- Updated code for recording track and calculating track statistics
More Products to Consider
- English - Hindi and Hindi - English Dictionary ( ).
- Translate English to Tamil.
- The Holy Bible, New King James Version Bible, NKJV.The Old Test...
- Get an English dictionary application for your Android device.
- Best Daily Positive Affirmations at your fingertips! Want to th...
- The Best Way To Keep Up With Medical Research.
- This Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas APP Has:- Every Cheat for AL...
- Alkitab: Indonesian Bible with Section Headings and Parallel Ve...
- Brain Structure:In this study: Anatomy of Brain Structure.Are b...
- Scan your essay, article, term paper or dissertation with a sin...
- Lose Weight Permanently On The Paleo Diet And Remain Slim Forev...
- BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD THIS APP and maybe give it a negative ratin...
- The buddy system isn't just for little kids crossing the street...
- Give you one number for all your phones.
- Get Sinhala Tamil English dictionary for your Android device.
- How Gain Muscle Fast? this app has the best information out the...
- Calculate the number of charcoals required for a particular rec...
- Read Kindle books on your Android devices.
- Find restaurants seen on TV shows like Diners, DriveIns and Div...
- Experience profoundly altered states of awareness and explorati...
- Access Data, Weather, Water Conditions and More for Humboldt Co...
- Get all information you need during the Dukan Diet on your Andr...
- Track and secure your Android mobile phone.
- ILS VOR GPS glass cockpit navigation for pilots.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content