CNET Editors' review
Mixxx is a free, open-source DJ mixing console that turns your digital music collection into the source for a full range of mixing, programming, and effects for recording or live presentation. While all you need is a PC or laptop to use Mixxx, it can also control two turntables, even analog turntables, with special time-synched media. By using Mixxx's Vinyl Control with one of several time-synched records, you can control your digital music just like your analog records. Mixxx enables scratching, hot cues, looping, and other effects, in addition to its core mixing and equalization features.
Mixxx's stylish light-on-dark interface has identical controls for Channel 1 and Channel 2 on either side of a central window that is itself divided into dual players above, and library and playlist features below. Each identical Channel has cueing controls, including four HotCue buttons, In, Out, and Reverse buttons, a button to exit reloops, and a sample rate slider alongside a pair of Up and Down arrows for making temporary and permanent changes. There's also a slider for volume levels as well as rotary buttons for High, Mid, and Low levels as well as Gain, Synch and Key buttons, and other controls. Most of Mixxx's library and playlist features will be familiar to anyone who has used an MP3 player; likewise, loading songs in the two players is easy, as is playing them, adjusting the levels, and other basic controls, though we're glad Mixxx offers such extensive and detailed assistance, too. Clicking Help offered two choices, Community Support and About, neither of which sounded promising. But Community Support linked to a page full of resources, including an extensive manual with a Beginner's Guide as well as a wiki, a forum, and more.
That's how we learned about how Mixxx can interact with real analog turntables via its Vinyl Control feature. To use this feature, you must have at least one turntable and a special vinyl disk that contains digital time codes that Mixxx can read. It's complex, but it enables DJs to use their favorite turntables and control digital music using familiar gestures. Bottom line: Mixxx kicks. Get it!
Mixxx is designed for DJ'ing for both professional and semi-professional users. Mixxx was started in early 2001 as one of the first digital DJ systems. Today Mixxx includes many features common to digital DJ solutions, but also some very unique features. Futhermore Mixxx has a number of key features to help the DJ in the live mix: Beat estimation, parallel visual displays, and support for many DJ input controllers.
What's new in this version: Version 1.10.1 has fixed some bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Clean up junk files and invalid Registry entries.
- Tune up and maintain your PC, clean registry easily.
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Take full control over RAR and ZIP archives, along with unpacki...
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Fix, speed up, maintain, and protect your PC.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Record your own voice, music, or any other internal / external ...
- All-in-one digital audio application to extract audio from vide...
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Music editor software to edit voice and other sound recordings ...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 17 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great DJ Mix Station. Just what I've been after."
Version: Mixxx 1.10.1
-Has all the basic functions of a DJ's mixing unit
-Easy to use
-Easy to select the music you want
-Resetting the levels to Zero is a simple mouse right click
-Great to have just 3 equalizer controls
-Nice, sharp graphics and controls
-You can increase the volume much higher than those built into the Windows system.
-Fade controls are not smooth when not using the mouse
-Doesn't show time remaining
-Can't widen the search width column
-Can Only view one folder at a time
I'm a former DJ and have a high expectations on what sounds good and what doesn't. So, you can take it for granted that my review would be very helpful to those who love music and want to control the mixing of one song to another.
This is a great mixer with simple controls. I would've given it 5/5, but for my taste and needs I would've liked more options and ways to control the knobs and sliders more smoothly. Other than that, I would definitely recommend it to a friend.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content