CNET Editors' review
McAfee Site Advisor is a rare helpful browser add-on that will tell you exactly what to expect from a Web site. It fits in seamlessly with most browsers and is constantly updated with new information on top Web sites. While it may make you second guess some of your browsing behavior, it's still a worthwhile add-on to have.
This program puts a small icon in your browser's URL bar that will help you gauge whether or not a site can be trusted. The icon changes colors -- green, yellow, and red -- based on how much of your data the site collects, what type of cookies it uses, and other information that is useful about the site. Though it's not made for any particular browser, it sticks right into most of the common ones like Chrome and Firefox without much difficulty. You can even view a site's full report without navigating away from the page you were on previously.
There are plenty of other widgets like this, and you may already have one built into your anti-virus software. If you don't, check out McAfee Site Advisor. It's a great, effective widget that could pay big dividends if you don't know how dangerous the sites you're visiting are.
McAfee SiteAdvisor software is a free Web security plug-in that provides you with simple red, yellow and green Website safety ratings, McAfee SECURE trustmarks for sites passing more rigorous daily tests, and a Secure Search Box so you can click with confidence and safely surf, search and shop online. This program tests websites for spyware, spam, phishing, and browser exploits, and its automatic updates help protect you from the latest threats.
SiteAdvisor technology works with 20 search engines, including Google, Yahoo!, Bing, AOL, and Ask. It does not require any other security software to work. With SiteAdvisor software installed, your browser will look a little different than before. We add small site rating icons to your search results as well as a browser button and optional search box. Together, these alert you to potentially risky sites and help you find safer alternatives. These site ratings are based on tests conducted by McAfee using an army of computers that look for all kinds of threats (detailed below). The result is a guide to Web safety. The SiteAdvisor technology is free, easy to install and even easier to use. And it doesn't collect any personally identifiable information.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Add a Web browser plug-in for accessing rich interactive applic...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Get an interface between Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 and an e-m...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Update your IE browsing experience with Google gadgets, AutoFil...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- View PowerPoint presentations from PowerPoint 97 and up.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 52 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"It's Fine, but could be Improved"
Version: McAfee SiteAdvisor 188.8.131.52
The software gave good ratings.
It protects you from dangerous websites.
Ratings are mostly accurate.
Light on computer.
Compatible with most browsers.
Unfortunately, it crashes and freezes on Firefox.
Not compatible with every internet browser.
It should have been released as a separate add-on, not a space consuming program.
I think that it's OK. Sometimes, ratings are wrong. Very wrong. But most of the time, the software is effective at protecting you from dangerous websites.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content