CNET Editors' review
A capable and multifunctional media player, MplayerX for Mac features generous support online and ample tools available to the user, making it a very capable tool for watching videos.
At around 34MB in size, the application may take a couple of minutes to download. Though it installs painlessly, MplayerX for Mac does not include a splash page or tutorial for new users when it first opens, nor does it open a video window. It only appears in the status bar at the top. The best way to access it is to use the "open with" feature when clicking on a video file. Once it is running, it offers very diverse capabilities and is quite sleek. The video, itself, is the only thing showing while you are watching it, and the interface never shows up unless you need it. One aspect of the program we found inconvenient is that once a video has finished playing, the window disappears, where other players would remain open giving you the ability to re-watch instantly. Hot keys, enabling changes to the speed of the video and tools for adjusting audio feeds are among the useful tools this program packs. Additionally, by clicking on the A-B loop, the user can set the start and return points in the video enabling looping of the specified segment. However, even though the program claims to support streaming of YouTube videos, this feature didn't work correctly during testing on OS X Mountain Lion. When we tried opening a video from a URL, the program displayed an error on multiple occasions.
Ultimately, the casual user or social video watcher should probably stick to more "obvious" apps, but more advanced users who wish to enhance their video watching experience will appreciate MplayerX for Mac. Similar programs don't even come close to being as hefty in the tools department.
From Zongyao Qu:
MPlayerX is a open-source project under GPLv2, which aims to be the most powerful, beautiful, easy to use multimedia player on Mac OS X. By taking advantage of mplayer and ffmpeg-mt, MPlayerX is able to decode almost any format of files on your computer. And even FullHD contents, the playback goes smoothly. Catching up with the latest technology Apple has disclosed, Multi-Touch, MPlayerX will dance on your fingers, no mouse, no keyboard short-cuts. Inspired by QuickTime X, MPlayerX has the simply, black interface, and in-frame minimal controls. All of those helps users to focus on the contents, rather than software itself.
What's new in this version:
- fix gray bar displayed when using fullscreen in 10.9
- fix Auto Play List stop working for some files
- fix crashes when using video tuner
- compatability fixes
More Products to Consider
- Play Blu-ray disc/movies and watch 1080p HD video on Mac.
- Convert multimedia files between formats.
- Convert files between flv, mpeg 1/2/4, 3gp, mp3, m4a, wmv, wma,...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Play, import, convert and export Windows Media video and audio ...
- Motion graphics & visual effects for film, video, multimedia, w...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- DVD authoring tool.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Convert mov files to JPG images.
- Advanced screen recording application.
- Burn any video to DVD disc, DVD folder or ISO files.
- The official microblogging client.
- Multi-camera video surveillance app.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Free Mac video editor software. Easily edit movies and video cl...
- Convert MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, MKV, AVCHD MTS/M2TS, MXF, FLV, MP3,...
- Remember everything: easily store info in any environment.
- Broadcast and access videos and radio on the Internet.
- Download and convert videos from various websites.
- Sketchpad for sharing visual ideas.
- Development application.
- Play Blu-ray movies, 1080p HD video and any other media with a ...
- Convert camcorder AVCHD(.mts,.m2ts) videos.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best player so far."
Version: MPlayerX 1.0.17
Plays all formats (so far).
Simple and mac-like design.
Better version to VLC player.
Compatible to mac gesture.
Desperate to find one.
Its really one of the best player I have seen so far. I hope they add new features like video convertor and editing maybe. But as of now I am very happy to have downloaded the player.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content