CNET Editors' review
Once you get past its nightmare of an installation process, KMPlayer's sheer power and flexibility are impressive. It includes a vast array of video- and audio-capturing options, as well as skins, a plethora of playback controls and tweaks, and broad DVD support.
When installing KMPlayer, be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as the process is less than straightforward. It presents a number of different jargon-filled installation options ("Extender Plus External Codec?"), an offer for a bundled Ask.com toolbar, and inexplicably another offer for a "Clean Water Action Reminder." It's also worth noting that my install experience included a prompt for me to "re-start as an admin" in order to update the app. I did this and was stuck in an eternal update loop that forced me to restart the program.
Installation issues aside, I am actually pretty impressed with the number of features KMPlayer offers. I was able to play DVDs without a hitch, and I didn't run into problems with any video file types. Also, the extensive menus include controls for brightness, contrast, hue, and so on, subtitles, screen size, aspect ratio, color, capture tools, and so much more. There's even a built-in audio equalizer and 3D playback capabilities. It's nice that there's so much packed under the hood, but it can be overwhelming if you're not completely comfortable with advanced video terminology.
With so many features, it's a shame there isn't a clear and concise Help file to get users started. Instead, the F1 Help command brings you to KMPlayer's online forum, where you are forced to sift through user-generated instructions and tips.
The bottom line is, if you are a discerning video enthusiast, looking for extreme flexibility in a video player, then KMPlayer should do the trick (once you get past the install process). On the other hand, if you're a more casual viewer looking for a simple player, then this download might be overkill.KMPlayer-Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.-Download Video Previews:
From KMP Media:
The KMPlayer is all in one media player, covering various formats such as VCD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Ogg Theora, OGM, 3GP, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, RealMedia, QuickTime etc. It has an extra feature to play Incomplete/Damaged AVI file, Locked Media Files while downloading or sharing, Compressed Audio Album (zip, rar) and so on. It handles a wide range of subtitles and allows you to capture audio, video, and screenshots in many ways. The player provides both internal and external filters with a fully controlled environment without grappling with DirectShow merit system. The player can set multifarious audio and video effects, control playback speed and octave, select parts of a video as favorites, do a powerful A-B repeat, remap the keys of remote interface for HTPC including overlay screen controls, change a skin dynamically depending on a media type playing, and many more. It is completely customizable thanks to a wide selection of skins and color schemes, and configuration options are extensive. KMPlayer is one of the most powerful video players in the world and trying to offer the best media entertaining environment for users. With new vision and dedication for the better user experience of video entertaining, we will keep listen and communicate with users of KMPlayer. We are guided by simple and solid philosophy "Motivated and inspired by how our users use and talk about our Product" Learn and communicate more about our KMPlayer: http://www.kmplayer.com/forums
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 adds Web Search Bar; supports Blu-Ray Play; supports DIVX(xsub) Subtitle(AVI files only); adds video codec ProRes (APCH, APCN, APCS, ACPO, AP4H); adds video codec(IV50, RV40).
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert, edit video and audio files for multimedia devices.
- Play all the most popular video and audio formats.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Merge and combine VOB and MPEG files.
- Find and download videos from YouTube, VideU, and MyVideo Web s...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Play all multimedia files and find subtitles automatically.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Automate offloading for HD digital media.
- Convert and edit your video files adding slide shows and titles...
- Convert your video files for 14 popular digital devices.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Encode multimedia files using Avisynth on PC.
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Convert video between various formats at the highest possible s...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Edit MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video with Smart Re...
- Play, create, and stream high-quality video.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Play a large number of formats.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 808 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: KMPlayer 188.8.131.52
GUI looks cool
Lots of time to open a video, makes lots of jpeg for the album. (***?),
It plays what VLC can't play well, some animes have new encoding that VLC can't decode well. KMPlayer does the job but the subtitle is just overlapping and really really bighave you ever watch .MKV files of animes? it doesn't play well with KM since the subtitles are big, the contrast of color is a killer
Updated on Aug 2, 2012
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content