JBuddy Messenger requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) which means it's suited to run on most modern operating systems.
Download & Deployment:
JBuddy Messenger v3.0 supports three download formats; one for each popular operating system.
- JBuddyMessenger.zip - for Windows XP and Vista; extracts to a simple exe launcher
- JBuddyMessenger.dmg - for Mac OS X; extracts to a simple JBuddy Messenger.app
- JBuddyMessenger.tgz - for Linux, Solaris and other Unix platforms; extracts with a simple shell launch script
Free Public Instant Messaging Support:
- Windows Live Messenger (MSN)
- Yahoo! Messenger
Paid License - Enterprise Instant Messaging Support:
- Google Talk
- XMPP / Jabber
- IBM Lotus Sametime
- Microsoft Office Communications Server (OCS / LCS)
Paid License - Business Features:
- Chat Log Browser
- Chat Log Search Engine
- English Spell Checker
JBuddy Messenger support several Java Look and Feel skins, which means how it looks can be customized depending on the environment and user preferences.
Buddy List Management
One of the challenges of using a multi-protocol instant messaging client is buddy list management. Often a savvy instant messaging user will have multiple screen names for many of their contacts; perhaps a work screen name and a home screen name. JBuddy Messenger v3.0 introduces Meta-Buddies (Trillian calls them Meta Contacts). A meta-buddy is an aggregation of the presence of multiple screen names under one buddy. Also, buddies groups of the same name across multiple accounts can be visually merged to simplify large buddy lists.