CNET Editors' review
Protecting yourself from identity theft starts at home, and the first step is to secure your own computer and the personal data it holds. Identity Finder Free is a powerful tool that scans your PC for unsecured passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal data and gives you the option to shred, secure, recycle, or ignore the scan's findings. It's free to home users on their personal systems. The full version searches for more data and also searches e-mail, compressed files, and removable drives, offers advanced options, and disables ads.
Identity Finder Free's installation wizard includes the option to register the program or continue with the freeware; we selected the free version. Identity Finder's Office-style interface fits in well with business environments, too, thanks to its Identity Finder Button, ribbon-style toolbar, and light blue background.
We started our search using the default settings. Identity Finder Free scanned 2,422 files and found 15 identity matches, displaying all the results with details in the list view and in a pop-up summary. None of the matches was a credit card number. All of the matches were passwords, but none were unsecured, current passwords from programs such as Web browsers; all 15 were software trial log-ons in archived Word documents, and none needed securing. Since they weren't important, we tried some of Identity Finder Free's tricks on them anyway.
We could secure flagged files with passwords and encryption or shred, recycle, or skip them. Shredding destroys the data, but the recycle feature just sends the item to the Recycle Bin. That's a wide step since you can recover data from the Recycle Bin but not from a proper shredding. Identity Finder Free also filters results for various data types as well as for Australian, Canadian, and U.K. factors (for example, NHS numbers in Britain).
Identity Finder Free packs in some extra tools, too, such as the Password Vault, File Vault, File Shredder, System Cleanup, and Browser Security. The System Cleanup tool scours your caches, histories, and temporary file repositories; regular use can help make Identity Finder Free's job easier. And if you run Identity Finder Free and it finds nothing amiss, you're doing something right already.
From Identity Finder:
Identity Finder Free Edition will detect unprotected credit cards and passwords on your computer that are vulnerable to identity theft or fraud. Once found, you can permanently shred or encrypt the information with a password so identity thieves cannot steal them. Take the first step towards protecting your family, your employees, and your business. Use free tools such as the File Vault to encrypt any file in Windows and the Digital Shredder to shred any file from Windows Explorer. Manage passwords securely in the Password Vault.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"complex & not for beginners, doesnt look at IE(?)"
Version: Identity Finder Free Edition 6.0
does good system scan, however doesnt appear to look at internet explorer...though not sure why
when scan finished it either gave option for shreeding file and password or placing a master password on the brwower (WT?). Doesnt give any more options and help section silent past this
better out there
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content