CNET Editors' review
HoudahGeo is an all-in-one app for geocoding and geotagging your photos, so you can keep track of where they were taken and upload them to sites like Google Earth and Flickr.
HoudahGeo provides a variety of ways to link your photos to geographic locations (using exportable EXIF, XMP, or IPTC tags), whether you're using a GPS track-logging device or you're entering locations manually, with coordinates, a built-in map, or Google Earth. You can even just take occasional, lower-quality reference photos (for example, with your iPhone 3G), and HoudahGeo will automatically geocode photos taken with your higher-res camera later based on the time frame. HoudahGeo supports most popular photo-library software, including iPhoto, Lightroom, and Aperture, and you can publish to EveryTrail.com. The most-recent updates have also added higher-quality maps and satellite images. (Although note that HoudahGeo now no longer supports Mac OS X 10.4.)
With its stability, broad set of features, quick and intuitive workflow, and extras like KML export, HoudahGeo is an excellent option for anyone who needs photo geocoding.
From Houdah Software:
HoudahGeo lets you know where you took that photo!
With HoudahGeo you may \"pin\" photos to locations where they were taken.
Just like an expensive GPS camera, HoudahGeo may store latitude, longitude and altitude information right within the image file - invisibly with no loss of quality. HoudahGeo writes EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags.
HoudahGeo also lets you to share your geotagged photos in Google Earth or publish them to Flickr, Locr or EveryTrail.com.One-stop geocoding for the Mac
HoudahGeo caters to two very different needs:
- Geocoding for archival purposes using EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags
- Geocoding for publishing to Google Earth or Flickr
HoudahGeo offers you many ways of geocoding your favorite photos:
- Automatic: Matches photos to GPS track logs and waypoints
- iPhone: Matches photos to reference photos taken using iPhone
- Using a Google Earth: Point to the desired location
- Using a map: Pick locations using the built-in map
- Precision: Attach photos to GPS waypoints
- Manual: Enter coordinates found on Google Earth, Wikipedia, ...
HoudahGeo connects directly to many brands and models of GPS track loggers. It also reads GPX and NMEA files created by third party software.
What's new in this version:
- iPhoto integration now supports iPhoto'11. iPhoto 9.1.1 required.
- Fixes the loading of waypoints from an GPS track log file.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Preview image files of different formats directly in Windows Ex...
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
All versions:4.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"It works - every time!"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.7.1
Works with my QStarz Travel Recorder 10... I have not found another way to transfer these tracks to my Mac
Will reverse geocode
Completely compatible with iPhoto and Aperture
Works with Google Earth, too
It is a little slow when geocoding a large batch of photo files
I have tried just about every other geocoding solution I can find and always come back to HoudaGeo. Before it could talk directly with Aperture HoudaGeo introduced a couple of extra steps into my workflow. Now, it is easy to fit into any workflow. If you have a geologger and want to embed geographic coordinates in your photo files, HoudaGeo is an accurate and elegant solution.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content