CNET Editors' review
If you're willing to put up with some ads, Hotspot Shield VPN is a free app that aims to make your Wi-Fi connections secure and protect your privacy while online.
The interface is clean and simple, and aside from a few options, there's not much for you to do. Hotspot Shield VPN is basically ready to go as soon as you open it. It's capable of optimizing data flow, providing you with a little more mileage when using 3G or 4G networks (depending on your unit), and further encrypts your sent data so that info and messages will not be intercepted by a third party. It also shields your IP address, so you can surf anonymously. Although most of what this app does is behind the scenes, we didn't have any issues in our tests, and connectivity was smooth and trouble-free. One downside to this simplicity is that you don't have direct control of the app. Instead, Hotspot Shield VPN adjusts settings and connects to networks on its own. The other is that the free version is supported by ads and doesn't give you access to customer service 24 hours a day.
If you frequently browse the Web or send and receive data with your Android device, Hotspot Shield VPN offers another layer of security to protect you and your information. You'll have to put up with a few ads if you decide not to upgrade to the paid version, but that seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Hotspot Shield for Android provides the same great features as our popular desktop software. Provides internet security and privacy: protect yourself in Wi-Fi hotspots (VPN encrypts all traffic), protect your identity and your IP address to stop unwanted tracking. Gives you access to your favorite sites.Unblock any blocked content and services--get Facebook, Skype, YouTube, Flickr and other sites wherever you are. Blocks and notifies you of spam, phishing and rogue websites. Hotspot Shield Bandwidth Compression speeds up browsing and shows you how much you saved on your data plan
What's new in this version: Version 0.5.24 includes various improvements and bugfixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Works as advertised"
Version: Hotspot Shield VPN for Android 0.5.20
Install and set up was easy.
My tests show that it really is securing my Wifi signal.
Sort of idiot proof with little user input available.
No problems making telephone calls with Skype.
Only took maybe 5 seconds to connect to the VPN the 3 times I tried it.
Slows down the internet connection somewhat while browsing.
I had to turn off image compression to load and use the youtube app.
Needs a little more user settings, the image compression defaults to medium every time I turn protection off and back on.
I like the added security and will use the product on free mode for now. I would like to know more about this VPN and if someone in the back room has access to my online activities.
Using this while connected to a 4G hotspot router via wifi, Android 2.3.4 and cheap Net10 LG phone.
"I used it on HTC EVO 3D both on wifi and usb tether."
Version: Hotspot Shield VPN for Android 0.5.20
works after the first install and works fine if you dont close it or restart your andriod phone
Does not connect at all, take several minutes just to show that it is unable to connect with random errors
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content