CNET Editors' review
Google Translate for Android is a simple, versatile tool that supports more than 60 languages, offers an SMS translator, and even speaks some of your translations aloud.
The best thing about Google Translate is its simplicity. The app is decked out with a sleek, ICS-flavored Holo theme, complete with Android 4.0's signature action bar and drop-down menu. Altogether, the new skin is a marked improvement over the slightly clunkier interface developed for Android Gingerbread.
To use Google Translate, just select your input and output languages, then type in your text. For even faster results, you can set the app to automatically detect your input language, and you can quickly interchange your input and output languages, by hitting the arrow icon between the fields. From there, the app returns a written translation and in some cases an audio translation. It even gives you a share button, in case you want to send your translation to a friend.
It's no secret that Google Translate performs a solid job translating, but what really makes it shine are the extra conveniences it offers. It automatically keeps a history of your translations, and lets you star any of them for easy access later, from the Favorites screen. Text-to-speech output is available for select languages, and can be a huge help when you're dealing with unfamiliar phonetics. Also helpful is the speech translation feature, which can sometimes translate spoken language through your device's microphone. However, with voice recognition technology still relatively young, this feature is nowhere near perfect. Finally, the SMS translation feature can pull in any of your text messages for a quick processing.
One thing the app is missing, is offline support. Sure, caching entire libraries of languages locally would probably be overkill, but it would be nice to be able to save one or a few basic libraries, perhaps on your SD card. Still, Google Translate is easy to use, and can translate over 60 languages, which makes it tough to beat.
Google Translate lets you instantly translate between over 50 languages. Use Google Translate to instantly translate text between more than 50 languages.
* Dictionary results
* Voice input
* Romanization (e.g. Pinyin, Romaji, etc)
* History/star favorite translations
More Products to Consider
- Translate between different languages on desktop.
- Convert English sentences to Hindi and vice-versa.
- View geographical data from GPS devices.
- Check current status of trains Indian railway.
- Convert Google Earth into a real-time GPS navigation for laptop...
- Book your railway tickets in India.
- Track a mobile object in real time by GPRS / 3G connection on W...
- Translate any text on a Web page and other applications just by...
- Combine together maps, satellite imagery, GPS tracking, instant...
- Translate Web contents, chat, and documents between English and...
- Translate Skype chats to Dutch, French, Chinese or Japanese.
- Edit GPS tracks: analyze trajectory and structure, filter, merg...
- Plan your US and Canada trips.
- Translate English words into Indonesian and vice-versa.
- Test your GPS device.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Access information about Indian Railways from your Windows 8 PC...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Learn how to speak the English language.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Create, convert, and plan your route for trip.
- Enjoy the powerful English to Urdu dictionary and Urdu to Engli...
- Translate words between 14 languages.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content