CNET Editors' review
Google Translate for Android is a simple, versatile tool that supports more than 60 languages, offers an SMS translator, and even speaks some of your translations aloud.
The best thing about Google Translate is its simplicity. The app is decked out with a sleek, ICS-flavored Holo theme, complete with Android 4.0's signature action bar and drop-down menu. Altogether, the new skin is a marked improvement over the slightly clunkier interface developed for Android Gingerbread.
To use Google Translate, just select your input and output languages, then type in your text. For even faster results, you can set the app to automatically detect your input language, and you can quickly interchange your input and output languages, by hitting the arrow icon between the fields. From there, the app returns a written translation and in some cases an audio translation. It even gives you a share button, in case you want to send your translation to a friend.
It's no secret that Google Translate performs a solid job translating, but what really makes it shine are the extra conveniences it offers. It automatically keeps a history of your translations, and lets you star any of them for easy access later, from the Favorites screen. Text-to-speech output is available for select languages, and can be a huge help when you're dealing with unfamiliar phonetics. Also helpful is the speech translation feature, which can sometimes translate spoken language through your device's microphone. However, with voice recognition technology still relatively young, this feature is nowhere near perfect. Finally, the SMS translation feature can pull in any of your text messages for a quick processing.
One thing the app is missing, is offline support. Sure, caching entire libraries of languages locally would probably be overkill, but it would be nice to be able to save one or a few basic libraries, perhaps on your SD card. Still, Google Translate is easy to use, and can translate over 60 languages, which makes it tough to beat.
Google Translate lets you instantly translate between over 50 languages. Use Google Translate to instantly translate text between more than 50 languages.
* Dictionary results
* Voice input
* Romanization (e.g. Pinyin, Romaji, etc)
* History/star favorite translations
More Products to Consider
- Track the location of your mobile and phone and local networtk ...
- Indian Train Locator gets live running status and location of a...
- This application is an OBDII ECU diagnostics tool that uses a b...
- Download the latest release of Google Maps, and never carry a p...
- Mumbai Train timetable,Bus routes,Auto & Taxi fare on your mobi...
- Premium turn-by-turn GPS navigation app.
- FREE on-board maps & directions.
- National Geographic Video is free android app that easy to watc...
- Bryce Canyon National Park is your essential pocket guide to th...
- Display your GPS and sensor data on your Android device.
- Your guide to the national Make Music festival on June 21!.
- A cool social driving and navigation app that connects you to o...
- Is it worth it to drive farther to get cheaper gas? This app wi...
- Instantly translate over 50 languages.
- See, which pictures people post around you! With GeoShots you c...
- Find restaurants near you with Restaurant Finder.Search for you...
- * Corrects music stream (A2DP) volume when connected to Bluetoo...
- Check your Metro SmarTrip card balance on your phone at any tim...
- Reads real-time and stored parameters from ECU of OBD-II compli...
- Sylectus - Trucking's Most Powerful Network.
- Provides a wealth of information to guide you through your crui...
- Translate English to Tamil.
- Internal application used for Pickups and Deliveries at Tax Air...
- Provide you a sets of cognitive synonyms.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content