CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
As far as mobile mapping goes, Google Maps for Android offers one of the best experiences you can get. The feature-fest, which Google has been building on for years, doesn't just tell you where you are using nothing but GPS or cell tower triangulation. It also tells you how to get where you want to go by car, public transport, good old-fashioned shoe leather, and now, by bike. Voice-guided navigation takes you turn by turn, and voice search keeps your typing fingers fresh.
A variety of add-ons layers information on top of the base map, so you can view things like traffic, transit lines, and your favorite places on the map. There's also support for social elites to access Buzz, Google's Twitterlike service for posting status updates, photos included. The Buzz layer makes sense in Maps to geolocate your surroundings, but there's also an interesting overlap with Google Latitude, another Google location-based friend-finding service. When you find what you're looking for, selecting the business gives you options to call, get a street-level view, and switch on turn-by-turn voice navigation--a huge boon if your Android phone runs 2.0 and up of the operating system. The biking layer shows you a range of cycle-friendly paths around the U.S.
We'd like to say that Google Maps for Android has it all, but there's no elegant way to search for nearby businesses a la Yelp, add your own review, or add photos. An update does surface snippets of reviews at the top of the search results page, which helps.
The application is constantly developing and as it does, it will become an even more reliable go-to app for your navigational and cartographic needs.
Get Google Maps with Navigation (Beta), Places, and Latitude*Navigation: Free, voice-guided GPS navigation system*Places: Find, rate, and get recommendations for places*Latitude: See friends on the map and check in at placesKeywords: Google Maps, Navigation, Places, Hotpot, Latitude, directionsRecent changes:* Indoor maps (beta) are now available for select airports, shopping malls, and more. Learn more at g.co/indoormaps* Menu added to the top toolbar for easy switching between common features. * Updated home screen for Places, now with popular searches based on your location. * Option to disable automatic screen dimming for Navigation.Content rating: Medium Maturity
What's new in this version: * Indoor maps (beta) are now available for select airports, shopping malls, and more. Learn more at g.co/indoormaps* Menu added to the top toolbar for easy switching between common features. * Updated home screen for Places, now with popular searches based on your location. * Option to disable automatic screen dimming for Navigation.
More Products to Consider
- View geographical data from GPS devices.
- Convert English sentences to Hindi and vice-versa.
- Convert Google Earth into a real-time GPS navigation for laptop...
- Track a mobile object in real time by GPRS / 3G connection on W...
- Translate any text on a Web page and other applications just by...
- Book your railway tickets in India.
- Check current status of trains Indian railway.
- Determine what the time is in another part of the world.
- Plan all your flights with ease.
- Combine together maps, satellite imagery, GPS tracking, instant...
- Translate text into different languages with the ability to rec...
- Plan your US and Canada trips.
- Eliminate language barriers with speech to speech translator.
- Edit GPS tracks: analyze trajectory and structure, filter, merg...
- Translate texts and programs on PC.
- Translate between any languages and speak the translated text.
- Translate your Skype chats in different languages.
- Show up to date marine information based on latitude and longit...
- Translate English words into Indonesian and vice-versa.
- Translate English words and phrases into 29 languages.
- Test your GPS device.
- Explore the most magical place on Earth from Windows 8 device.
- Create customized georeferenced digital elevation maps and csv ...
- Create, convert, and plan your route for trip.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Great app! but ..."
Version: Google Maps 5.11
Does not allow real-time updates.. I found additional app, called Latitude Update, that performs real-time updates to Google Latitude .
No real time updates.
Ops no real times update .. . I found additional app, called Latitude Update, that performs real-time updates to Google Latitude
"Navigation difficult at best in UK"
Version: Google Maps 5.0
Good map navigation, routes are accurate and clear
The speech for UK is almost unintelligible. It messes up road designations and pronunciation of place names is wrong. It is also too slow, telling you which exit on a roundabout 200yds after you have left it (map shows accurate position)
There is an issue for UK users with the way it pronounces road designations as it is confusing and can make it hard to follow if you are driving on your own, eg, going to Leicester it said take the A to 45Leicester instead of take the A45. It also uses street names instead of designation, eg Leicester road instead of A45.
"Good, but still lacks features. Preloaded maps, via..."
Version: Google Maps 4.2
Simplicity, good map coverage, satellite view, googles resources...
No preloaded maps!
I love almost everything about Google maps, but I cant make it my primary navigation software because I cant preload maps. I dont know why this feature is still missing since it is on of the key features all of us need when we travel. I simply dont understand how it can be used. Am I supposed to use my GSM data to load them even when roaming!?
And another thing is it sometimes takes me over some very strange routes, which I cant change and it turn useless. Cant put fastest time, or shortest, avoid this and that...
Version: Google Maps 4.0
Easy, visually nice, and lots more
none so far
just disable the standard messaging app from sending you notifications. it's clean and it runs nice. a must-have for all android users!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content