CNET Editors' review
Flies have been crawling across our computer screens for decades, and no doubt the Ancient Programmer who coded the first digital fly had a good chuckle over it. Since then, flies have probably been the most common digital vermin dragooned into desktop duty. Much like real flies, the simulated kind have never quite gone away and have even gotten more realistic over time. Fly on Desktop by Drive Software is the most evolved specimen yet, closely simulating the look and behavior of Musca domestica, the common housefly. It's not really a screensaver; it's just pretty cool.
We extracted Fly on Desktop's compressed executable and opened the program. Five simulated flies began to crawl across our screen in what scientists would call flylike behavior. Double-clicking a fly made it disappear, simultaneously calling up a very small Settings dialog that let us set always-on-top and start-up options as well as the number of flies to display, from 1 to a truly creepy 99, in which the flies seem to crawl out of a hole in the center of the screen. We could also open the Settings directly by double-clicking the program's system tray icon or by right-clicking the icon and selecting Settings on the context menu, which also let us add single flies, add five flies at a time, or remove all flies. There's no Help file, although it'd be a stretch to say one is needed; there is an About file, but the links didn't lead to anything other than general support. Real flies may be fast and tricky but not complex, and their virtual analogs are easy to swat with your cursor when they stand still. We anticipate few difficulties for most users.
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can't imagine needing a virtual fly on their desktops, and the rest of us. And if you must have flies, you must have the best. Drive's Fly on Desktop is certainly the most realistic virtual version we've seen so far.
From Drive Software:
The most realistic fly for your desktop! Fully simulates the behaviour of a real fly. Launch of 5-10 units, and you will believe that these are true flies. The Fly on Desktop has settings, where you can enable it to startup, place on top of other windows and specify the number of flies. To remove a fly from the screen, just double click on it. Do not forget to make fun of your friends.
What's new in this version: Version 1.5 adds new option: Fly away from the cursor.
More Products to Consider
- Create ladybugs on your desktop.
- Create cockroaches on your desktop.
- Get a realistic fly for your desktop that fully simulates the b...
- Create simple cartoon image just import and clicking create car...
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Record and perform multi tracking operations directly on your m...
- Watch and record online TV Channels worldwide, Justin.tv channe...
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Kill the fly with your mouse.
- Watch water dropping on your screen.
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Set fish swimming on your desktop.
- Help yourself to be on time.
- Display kite images on your desktop.
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Learn your new dance moves from this disco-dancing baby.
- Convert RM to MP3, MPEG to MP3, and other video to audio format...
- See numerous toasters flying on your desktop.
- Adopt a Boomonster you can feed and play with.
- Display an animated penguin on your desktop.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Great Fly but it's not a Blue Bottle Fly"
Version: Fly on Desktop 1.4
Simple in every way
Now that I have a fly on my desktop I'm not sure why I do
Simple pleasures for simple minds. This just puts flies on your desktop with no hassles in any way other than having a fly on your desktop.
"Great fun, people thought flies were in the computer!!"
Version: Fly on Desktop 1.2
Random movement is cool
Can become irritating after a while but can be turned off easily
Version: Fly on Desktop 1.2
cannot find the stop button to stop flys when i need them too
If I read the instructions properly I would be right lol
Updated on May 13, 2011
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content