CNET Editors' review
When it's time to get rid of old computers, many people think erasing and reformatting a hard drive is sufficient to keep private information out of others' hands. But to keep your private data safe from others, you really need a more thorough tool and EAST-Tec's DisposeSecure fits the bill. This hard-disk and network sanitizing utility can completely eliminate data beyond the possibility of recovery. It uses Department of Defense standards for data destruction, but users can configure custom security levels too.
DisposeSecure is a powerful and competent tool, and its interface and features reflect that, once you click through the trial screens. DisposeSecure comes in two interrelated parts, the Network Sanitizing tool--the program can clean one PC or a whole network--and the Bootable Media Creator, which makes DisposeSecure entirely portable and simplifies cleaning multiple machines. There are lots of settings, befitting a sophisticated application, but a fully indexed and searchable Windows-style Help center and integrated warnings and explanations make everything clear and prevent accidental disasters. There's a command line feature, too, and an Image Recorder that creates bootable ISO images.
DisposeSecure's free 15-day trial will only sanitize one-quarter of a selected disk, but the program only costs $19.95; cheap insurance, especially for small businesses. It works in all versions of Windows from 95 to 7.
Don't give away sensitive information, valuable corporate trade secrets, business plans, personal files and letters, or traces of Internet or newsgroup activity with the old computers that you or your company resells, donates, reassigns to different departments or removes from operation. Deleting all the files or even formatting the hard disk is not enough to stop people to restore information using basic recovery programs. East-Tec DisposeSecure however removes all traces of data from the computer hard disk, by overwriting and destroying beyond recovery every sector and bit of information. Data is removed according to government and industry standards or custom user security levels. East-Tec DisposeSecure 5 can be operated either from a bootable media (USB stick, floppy disk, CD, DVD) to sanitize any drive or partition from the computer, or through the network to sanitize a large number of computers, centralize sanitization logs (reports) on the server and more. The computers can be sanitized regardless of the file system or the operating system. In the latest version, you can also wipe non-system external hard drives directly from Windows, without booting from another device. Whether you want to prevent identity theft, protect your privacy or stop competitors from stealing your sensitive information, East-Tec DisposeSecure offers the solution.
What's new in this version: - Create and use bootable USB sticks to wipe hard drives - Wipe non-system external hard drives directly from Windows
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Shred data so it can't be recovered.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Wipe your hard drive data without possibility of data recovery.
- Keep what you do on your computer to yourself and protect your ...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Prevent deleted files from being restored by someone else.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Delete records about pictures, files, and Web sites you've work...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Secure your file and drive deletion on Windows systems.
- Analyze drives for recoverable data and restore lost files.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Erase the cache, cookies, history, and typed URLs.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Remove any evidence of your online/offline activities, clean fi...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Use professional-grade data wiping to permanently remove unwant...
- Perform disk fragmentation and speed up your computer in minute...
- Remove all deleted confidential record information from your ha...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Before donating your pc to anyone or Goodwill, you'd better READ THIS!"
Version: East-Tec DisposeSecure 3.4
This is the ultimate tool to use before donating any pc to Goodwill, you need to go to East-Tec's web site and check out the areas your privacy can be violated if you donate your old pc without using a "wipe/erase" program. This program uses the Dept. of Defense levels of protection to complete make any area "un-recoverable" and safe to donate. I have made several of their bootable disks and now I can donate or give away my old pc's with confidence. When you combine this program with another top-notch program East-Tec provides, Eraser, which provides ongoing, real-time protection as you use your current pc, you will be 100% protected. Customer serice is the best I have ever seen. Week day emails of mine have been answered the night I sent them. A+ program and service!
Not really a con, but you really must be a somewhat technologically-advanced to use this program; however, if you are wanting the ultimate in privacy, this is the one to get...just keep the manual handy until you understand all the specifics of the program! LOL However, if you are using it on a computer to be donated, and not one you are still using, then even a beginner could use it with confidence because you will intentionally be wiping out everything on the hard drive so that no software (or hardware) can recover it. Yes, I know, you THOUGHT that if you reformatted your hard drive, everything would be gone. NOT! Not without a program like this one.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: