CNET Editors' review
We've used plenty of weather-watching programs, but none quite like Earth Alerts from South Wind Technologies. This disaster-watching program monitors online information related to severe, extreme, and violent weather and natural disasters in near real time, notifies you about alerts and updates, displays satellite data and imagery, and even lets you view the event in images and video.
Earth Alerts has an attractive, colorful display that is quite easy to get started with. We first added our own location by clicking New Location and entering our ZIP code in the Search tool. Earth Alerts populated the relevant information fields automatically and displayed our location in the Locations box on the left-hand navigation and control panel. This panel offers three basic configurable overviews--Global, United States, and our locality--and several categories of events for regular monitoring: earthquakes, tsunamis, tropical cyclones (hurricanes), volcanoes, landslides, wildland fires, and severe weather. We clicked Update Now, and the program fetched the latest bulletins about a tsunami in Indonesia, a volcano in Russia, an update on Mt. Kilauea in Hawaii, two cyclone alerts, an NOAA tornado watch in Georgia, and other events, most of which also displayed maps and radar, and even opened a view in Google Earth when we clicked the buttons atop the main view. There were five earthquake alerts for our locality, all of them related to tremors 416 miles away, the nearest activity. We selected a volcano alert, clicked Images, and were rewarded with pictures of the volcano site. The automatic update, Google Earth launcher, and sound and e-mail notification settings were all clearly explained and easy to configure.
We're impressed by Earth Alerts and its ability to deliver useful, up-to-the-minute data and images of a wide range of global phenomena. It's easy to add any place on Earth to its Locations to monitor, and there's plenty to see and do with it, even when all's quiet on the weather front.
From South Wind Technologies:
Earth Alerts is a Windows-based application that allows you to monitor in near real-time a variety of natural hazard events that are occurring anywhere around the world. Alert notifications, reports, and imagery provide the user with a convenient way to view natural phenomenon as they occur, whether close to home or some far-flung corner of the globe.Earth Alerts includes basic weather tracking features such as National Weather Service alerts, current conditions, local forecasts and radar or satellite imagery.
More Products to Consider
- Create a media database containing all your collections.
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Your digital bookshelf.
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Print passport photo and ID photo.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Drive mosquitoes away with your PC by playing an ultra sound.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Print daily planner pages for free using a simple spreadsheet.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Local conditions, severe-weather alerts, radar, and forecasts o...
- View day and night images of the Earth on your desktop.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Access great cheatsaves for your PS3.
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Manage movies, TV series, or collection of actors.
- Design your rooms and plan your gardens.
- Teach children addition, subtraction, multiplication, and divis...
- Watch videos, shows, and movies from Web sites such as Hulu, CB...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 93 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content