CNET Editors' review
CyberLink YouCam 5 is a Webcam manager that not only manages your installed Webcams and feeds but also lets you jazz them up with cool effects, avatars, gadgets, and so on. YouCam includes productivity tools for making presentations, tutorials, and instructional videos. It records HD video, and its TrueTheater feature enhances them. You can add special effects to your Webcam feed, and even download unlimited free effects from DirectZone. New features include Face Login, which uses facial-recognition technology to access your PC and Web sites like Facebook and Amazon. CyberLink YouCam 5 is free to try for 15 days.
CyberLink YouCam downloads via the CyberLink Downloader, which wouldn't let us download YouCam until we'd downloaded an updated version of the downloader! But the downloader includes MD5 checking, so it's worth the extra clicks. After selecting a destination folder, we were finally able to download and install YouCam, only to find a nag screen waiting. We clicked Try Now, and eventually YouCam's attractive, dark-toned interface opened. Moments later, our Webcam view appeared in the main window, followed by a side panel of Visual Effects.
The image quality was good, given the limitations of our Netbook and Webcam; both decent but unspectacular performers on their own. Applying effects couldn't be easier: click the one you want, and YouCam loads it. We clicked one that resembled a cinema marquee with multiple windows, each displaying our camera feed. YouCam has a whole menu full of effects: Scenes, Frames, Filters and Particles, Gadgets, Avatars, Emoticons, Distortions, and Augmented Reality, which involves drawing or printing a pattern, displaying it on the Webcam, and then selecting effects. YouCam can also create standard Presentations as well as those using Desktop Capture data and Dual-Video Presentations. The Utilities tab includes a Mirror feature, Video Surveillance (with motion detection recording) and Face Login, which is a great idea, but only works with Internet Explorer. The TrueTheater enhancement feature let us fine-tune the picture.
Of course, CyberLink YouCam 5 also captures video and still images, manages your camera and audio sources, and has other functions. If you use your Webcam a lot, it might be the tool you need.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of CyberLink YouCam 5.0.CyberLink YouCam-Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams. -Download Video Previews:
YouCam 5 is the ultimate webcam software, providing you all the tools and features you need to get the most out of your webcam. Whether you are looking for fun features and effects you can use when chatting with friends, or powerful utilities to enhance your work presentations, tutorials or video conferencing, YouCam has it all. For work, play and everything in between, YouCam is the only webcam software you will ever need.
What's new in this version:
- Use new Face Login to access your PC and online sites like Facebook and Amazon.
- Play with 100s of fun features including Augmented Reality, avatars, interactive effects, and gadgets.
- Record super smooth HD videos and enhance them with TrueTheater.
- Create effective presentations and tutorials with a host of productivity tools.
- Download unlimited free effects from DirectorZone.
More Products to Consider
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage e-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Create and share training videos, presentations, and screencast...
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
- Record anything that happens on your screen.
- Record anything on your PC in Full HD, up to 100FPS, with no la...
- Record screen and audio activity on your PC to create AVI and S...
- Transfer mail archives from Mac OS to Outlook for Windows.
- Record PC screen in HD quality with no lag.
- Record screen actions, video, and sound being played back on PC...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 146 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Why should you pay for something you already did..."
Version: CyberLink YouCam 5.0.2219
Alright additions if you are tech savvy.. which I am anything but. What I was able to figure out was pretty good.
That it is a stinking trial version only ! ! !
The major downside to the whole sordid affair, is having to pay for something that you already purchased, when you bought and paid for the computer, it came installed already. It would NOT have been done so without Cyberlink's express knowledge that it was being included with the computers from the manufacturers. This whole sorry affair sucks the BIG one... majorly ! The so called outdated youcam works fine as it is an I will stay with that.. unless and until Cyberlink gets its collective head out of its hind end, and make the upgrade free to the owners of computers who bought it preinstalled. Until then, Cyberlink... Get BENT !
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content