CNET Editors' review
CyberLink PowerDirector 10 is a feature-packed video editor that boasts some serious improvements over its previous iteration. With its revamped TrueVelocity engine and OpenCL support, it makes editing and rendering a bit speedier than before. Plus, it's got built-in 3D support.
As for the basics, PowerDirector can import and handle most of the video file types you would normally come across. You can also use it to easily add text, effects, and transitions; edit audio; capture video; burn discs; and share content online. Plus, it has intuitive, icon-based navigation and ample thumbnails, making it quite easy to zip around its interface.
So what's new? Eye-popping titles, picture-in-picture, particle effects, and time-lapse editing are among the added features. There's also, of course, some incredibly powerful 3D editing, as it can import all types of 3D content, convert from 2D to 3D, and output to virtually any industry-standard 3D format. Plus, the program includes some very nifty 3D menus and effects.
Among the new features, one of our favorites has to be Audio Beat Marker, which can potentially shave hours off of your editing sessions. The Beat Marker analyzes your soundtrack and automatically places markers at what it feels are major beat points, making it much easier to precisely place music-driven transitions and other effects. So, as you can imagine, it makes editing, say, a music video a less tedious process. There's also a single-click audio normalizer for when you're compiling several clips from different audio sources with different audio properties.
Another new feature we enjoy is the Drawing tool. It can record your mouse-drawn gestures and create overlays for use with your footage. Imagine recording your signature, and having it play out to look like graffiti being sprayed on a wall. While it might not be something you'd use every day, it sure is a nifty trick to have in your back pocket.
Finally, one thing that sets PowerDirector apart from its competitors is its integrated user community, DirectorZone. Through DirectorZone, you can download creative new menus, effects, particles, and even tutorials to help enrich your CyberLink experience overall. So if you need to stylize some dream sequence footage, for instance, you can log in and get tips from others who have that kind of knowledge.
While we do love the improvements that PowerDirector 10 brings to the table, we still wish we could squeeze a bit more out of its revamped engines. We felt it was a bit sluggish when launching, and it even lagged a little when we tried to quickly click through and preview all of the video effects. Overall, it's certainly not a slow program, but we did expect it to be a bit zippier.
In spite of its performance blips, we still consider CyberLink PowerDirector 10 a feature-packed video editor that gives you tons of bang for your buck. Whether you're a novice video editor or a more advanced user, it should have the tools you're looking for. And if it doesn't, you can probably find what you're looking for in the built-in treasure trove that is DirectorZone.CyberLink PowerDirector - Create amazing home videos - Download Video Previews:
With a revamped TrueVelocity rendering engine that's faster than ever, along with the richest end-to-end 3D editing suite available, PowerDirector 10 is redefining digital video editing. Join over 2,000,000 users and experience first-hand the award-winning performance and professional-quality features PowerDirector has to offer. Designed with new technologies, PowerDirector is packed with powerful editing tools to support End-to-end 3D editing, HD video editing, magic tools to enhance video quality, thousands of customizable effects, 100 media tracks and a user interface that is designed for getting videos done fast and easy.
What's new in this version:
- Revamped TrueVelocity 2 rendering engine
- Create 3D movies with end-to-end 3D video editing features
- Unleash your creativity with tons of pro-quality tools
- Create, share & learn with DirectorZone's 2,000,000+ members
- Find the perfect effect from over 200,000 free downloads
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert, edit video and audio files for multimedia devices.
- Play all the most popular video and audio formats.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Allow you to retrieve info about video or audio file.
- Convert most kinds of video and audio files into others.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Record your PC screen and sound for tutorials, demos, and prese...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert popular video formats like AVI, WMV, MP4, and MKV from/...
- Convert Real video and Real audio files to any video and any au...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Create WebM/VP8 from any format video and convert WebM/VP8 to v...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Convert video file to iPod MP4 and enjoy your favorite movies o...
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Convert FLV video to watch on your PC, iPod, iPhone, or mobile ...
- Convert your videos to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, MP4, H264, AVI, ...
- Capture, convert, and consume movies, music and photos for the ...
- Convert MKV files to all popular video formats for playback no ...
- Burn any video to DVD disc, DVD folder or ISO files.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 322 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"download the trial so difficult to use"
Version: CyberLink PowerDirector 10
just looks nice
1. is very difficult to use
2. the interface is very unfriendly cannot find all the buttons, must check the web to see the shortcuts
3. after tearing my hair decided to un-install it.
use it at your own risk. is very complex and unfriendly.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content