CNET Editors' review
Cradle of Rome combines the popular tile-matching puzzle format with an empire-building element; the Roman Empire, of course. It's similar to plenty of other puzzle games we've seen, but the Roman twist gives this puzzle game a fun extra challenge.
To play Cradle of Rome, you must first download the Free Ride Games manager, which will then download the game--along with plenty of others, if you're not paying attention. The price of admission is steep for this free game; advertising appears both in the form of videos that delay and interrupt your game and as Flash-based banner ads that surround it. We've played plenty of other games from Free Ride and have occasionally noticed performance issues that we attributed to advertising, but Cradle of Rome seemed to be especially affected by this; our biggest complaint was that the game's responsiveness was painfully slow. If you can get past that, though, the game does provide an interesting variation on the tile-matching format. You earn resources, such as gold and timber, by matching three or more like tiles in the puzzle. Between levels, you are given the opportunity to purchase sawmills, quarries, foundries, and other cornerstones of civilization. We only played a few levels because the game's slowness was more than we could bear, but these performance problems might not be universal. We recommend Cradle of Rome to any puzzle fans who could use a variation on a classic puzzle format.
Cradle of Rome installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Free Ride Games:
Cradle of Rome Game, is one of many free Games you can download at Free Ride Games, When in Rome, you do as the Romans do. But when in Ancient Rome, the cradle of civilization itself, you do as the Ancient Romans did and build the most legendary city of all time - from scratch! Cradle of Rome is an epic and wonderfully addictive Match Three game that will see you swapping wood and gold for the resources you need to build classic Roman structures between levels. The game may have you start humbly, but with sensible use of your materials, you'll soon construct some of the most magnificent structures the world has ever seen, like the Coliseum, the Pantheon and more! You'll have eight bonuses to help you along the way, like hammers that can break locked tiles and an hourglass that gives you extra time to complete the current level. For particularly nice play you'll even be awarded extra workers to help you complete your mammoth task.
More Products to Consider
- Help workers construct world-famous buildings, monuments and st...
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe with this skin pack.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Feed chickens, collect eggs and ship your goods off to market.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Play a seek and find adventure game.
- Sow plants, research, sell know-hows, and play with genetic cod...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Find all the possible words and get Word Duel bonuses.
- Fight for humanity against an alien onslaught.
- Play a time management game.
- Match three or more bubbles of the same kind to free souls.
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Design your own clothing to flaunt on the runway.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Help Jane Morian throughout her adventure.
- Plat a magical dream world adventure game.
- Take a spin around three tracks with three car modes.
- Swap the location of two objects on the screen to line up three...
- Solve medical riddles to save lives.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"It this supposed to even be a game?!"
Version: Cradle of Rome 1.0.2
NONE. Lots of crappy buy our stuff adds but no game was ever reached. I trusted CNet's review on this and I find it disappointing that they would promote this kind of crap
Before you can even play one second of the game you must get past a lot of spam and crappy advertisements that keep trying to trick you into letting them install.
This may crash your computer, while installing it's spyware and trying to get you to click add's. Not worth it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content