CNET Editors' note: Please note that running this program without supervision of an experienced helper can cause your computer to not operate correctly.
CNET Editors' review
Combofix is a freeware utility that scans your PC deeply for spyware and malware, especially in combinations. It's a powerful tool that can remove stubborn infections but also delete files you need, if you let it, so inexperienced users who run Combofix without expert guidance do so at their own risk. Used properly, it can clean your PC much more deeply than typical tools, free or not, and not just of malware but other junk, too. It finishes with a detailed log that reports each step.
Combofix is portable freeware that runs when you click its extracted program file. We disabled our antivirus and firewall software, as Combofix recommends. Most programs advise you to close everything before you install them, but Combofix means it, and it'll tell you if an open window or running process needs to end before it can proceed. The program also automatically backs up your settings and creates a System Restore point, which is reassuring.
Combofix is mostly automatic in operation. It scanned our system and started deleting files at a rapid pace. A look at the scrolling log reassured us: Combofix was throwing out hundreds of tiny JPEGs left over from an uninstalled app. Other cleaners (which shall remain nameless) had missed them, and we were pleased to see them go. Most scans take less than 10 minutes, but infected PCs may take much longer; ours was clean, thankfully. Finishing requires a reboot. Things seemed to load and run faster; an extra benefit of this deep cleaner.
Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them. ComboFix allows the manual removal of spyware infections. It's a specialized effective cleaning tool, which is useful compared to other malware and spyware removers. After Combofix finished, a report will be created. You can use this report to search and remove infections which are not automatically removed.
What's new in this version: Version 188.8.131.52 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect your computer form viruses, worms, and trojans .
- Fix errors, compress, and defragment the Registry.
- Kill running malware processes that stop the use of normal anti...
- Efficient, real-time network capture agent.
- Create application backups and restore data from a backup or ar...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Detect and remove rootkit malware on your PC.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 96 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Too geeky, which means nasty."
Version: Combofix 184.108.40.206
How would I know?
In regard to finding malware: I have no idea. In regard to user-friendliness: Where the hell is the plain English? A couple of sentences in plain English wouldn't kill these geeks. The attitude stinks. I have no idea whether the prog worked or not. I'm going completely on faith, based on CNET's glowing review. Still...
I don't care whether Combofix disappears tomorrow.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content