CNET Editors' review
Collectors of all sorts have started turning to software to catalog and organize their collections. Coin Collector is a program that's designed to help you handle your numismatic pursuits. It's a fairly basic program, but it's not a bad choice if you're looking for a way to record and organize the details of your collection.
Coin Collector certainly won't be winning any design awards with its dated-looking interface, but it's pretty easy to figure out. Coins are organized in tabs labeled 1 Center, 10 Center, 25 Center, 5 Center, and 50 Center. Why these aren't in order, and why there's no option for dollar coins or other denominations, is beyond us. There's also a tab that displays all the coins in the collection alphabetically by name, and letter buttons across the bottom of the interface let users quickly jump to particular letters in large collections. For each coin users can enter details such as the mint, size, weight, edge, estimated value, and more, and there are two custom fields that can be used to record other information. Users can also add one image for each coin. Coin Collector files can be exported as CSV files, and the program lets users create reports with their coins sorted by a variety of different categories. There's also a label maker that can print labels for all the coins in the collection automatically, a nice touch. A built-in Help file provides a detailed overview of the program's operation. Overall, we found Coin Collector to have several limitations, but it works well enough for a basic coin-organizing tool.
Coin Collector installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Duck Software:
Coin collector is an organizer program designed for the coin enthusiast. The program tracks multiple fields for each coin including Coin name, Category, Date, Grade, Denomination, Material, Size of coin, Edge, Designer, Location, Mint, coin ID#, Estimated Value, Weight, Buy Price, and Buy Date. Each field name can be customized to fit your coin collection and organizational needs. The user interface has been designed to be easy to use and to allow you to view all the information on each coin on one screen. You can also browse through your coin list, search for coins, and create print outs of your coin collection. In addition to coin fields, each coin has a separate entry for Detail, History, and Graphic. The Story and History fields allow you to enter longer text entries that may include details of the coins condition, past ownership, or really whatever you want. The graphic field is typically used for a picture of the coin, but, again can be used for whatever you want. A thumbnail of the graphic is shown on the main screen as you browse through each coin entry. Coin collector includes the ability to create custom reports, exporting data to .csv files, coin search, and help.
More Products to Consider
- Print passport photo and ID photo.
- Your digital bookshelf.
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Local conditions, severe-weather alerts, radar, and forecasts o...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Watch videos, shows, and movies from Web sites such as Hulu, CB...
- VectorWorks multi-disciplinary product bundle.
- Create and manage coin collections on PC.
- Create custom standard accounts, journal entries, ledgers, tria...
- Manage your personal accounts and track your savings and loans.
- Perform manufacturer independent OBD2 car diagnostics as well a...
- Create financial scenarios based on your current financial stat...
- Solve Trigonometry problems that you enter and receive step-by-...
- Print checks from blank check stock and create pre-printed pers...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Can't figure out how to handle dollar coins"
Version: Coin Collector 5.0
~Can add pictures.
~Layout is pleasing to the eye.
~Looks like it has potential.
~Has 2 fields that can be customized
Categories are broke down in cents; 1,5,10,50,etc... But I was unable to add a category for my dollar coins. When I tried it appeared to change all the "cent" categories to "center" or something like that.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content