CNET Editors' review
Camtasia for Mac makes it easy to create professional screencasts (capturing all actions on screen) for demonstration videos, instructional videos, and other screen-recording projects.
The interface is fairly easy to understand right away with your media, transitions, animations, and effects on the left side, the work area (what they call the Canvas) on the right, and a video timeline on the bottom. You can quickly create a screencast at launch by first selecting sound and Webcam preferences, then hitting the red record button. The Webcam feature lets you personally "present" your screencast in a picture-in-picture window and you have various effects to add to your presentation.
When your initial recording is finished, Camtasia offers several options for editing and enhancing your screencasts. You can choose from a number of transitions, audio and video effects, and animations by simply dragging them into the appropriate part of the timeline. You also can pick from many filters to colorize portions of your video or add Glow or Drop Shadow effects. If you want to point out specific parts of your screencast for a demo or training video, for example, you can zoom in on the action or add arrows, text, or pointers to call out certain parts of the screen.
In the latest version Techsmith added a couple more professional looking effects to add to your screencasts. A new Clip Speed feature can be accessed from the Video FX tab, and lets you speed through slow processes in a demonstration or slow down a faster process you want your audience to see. Just like other effects, you can drag and drop Clip Speed into your timeline, then just adjust it using controls within the timeline. Another new feature called Remove a Color (Chroma key) is not unlike when news show meteorologists use a green screen behind them to present the weather. This feature will let you present in the foreground and let you put in presentation slides and other backgrounds behind you to keep your screencasts exciting.
When you're finished, you can export your video to YouTube, Screencast.com, or convert the video to play on just about any device.
Camtasia is one of the best screencast applications for Mac. If you need to make a training video, a demonstration of your software, or some other project, you will appreciate Camtasia's numerous handy features and intuitive interface.
Camtasia for Mac. Remarkable screencasts made easy. Create eye-catching training, presentation and demo videos...the easy way. Camtasia for Mac screen recording software is streamlined, intuitive and makes you look like a pro. Easily record onscreen activity, Keynote slides, camera video, microphone or system audio - all with sparkling clarity. Record in front of a live audience or at your desk. Edit to perfection. Turn it into a stunning, HD-quality video at the perfect size to share on popular video sites, Apple devices, your website, blog or anywhere you like. Make them wonder how you did it.
What's new in this version: Region capture- Select a custom area or choose from preset dimensions to record only part of your screen. You'll get great pixel clarity without the need to crop and zoom. Visit the product tour for a Recorder demo. Audio enhancements- Scrub your audio clean from distractions like keyboard clicks, fan noise, and overly loud or uneven voice levels. You'll get effects like clicking reduction, noise reduction, pitch adjustment and more. Monitor selection- If your computer has multiple displays, you... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Convert and edit your video files adding slide shows and titles...
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert, edit video and audio files for multimedia devices.
- Play all the most popular video and audio formats.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Convert DVD videos and movies into iPhone format.
- Rip DVD movies to videos playable on Windows Mobile phone.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Convert DVD to HD Format, rip DVD to iPod, iPhone, PSP, mobile ...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert DVD movie and extract audio to iPod format.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert multiple media formats on PC.
- Convert multiple media formats on PC.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Produce live events with just a camera.
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Rip data onto disk with this DVD-to-MPEG-4 ripper or converter.
- Convert your videos to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, MP4, H264, AVI, ...
- Play Blu-ray, DVD, audio and video files without quality loss.
- Edit movies and other video recordings on a Windows PC.
All versions:2.1 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Never Worked on my iMac"
Version: Camtasia 1.1
I got to spend over a hundred for nothing in return. A complete donation that?s not even a tax write-off Sweet.........
Tech support has every which way and that, reason why it might not work and of course all because of other program compatibility conflicts...
You wanna spend over a hundred dollars and start figuring out that some software you already have and like are a compatibility issue? When I buy other stuff without a problem? Its up to you....
"Great for easily adding your face to a screencast."
Version: Camtasia 1.1
The main advantage over something like iShowU is that you can easily get the iSight camera feed added to the screencast and it has some basic editing functions that means you don't need to go to iMovie or FCE to edit.
It is more expensive than other screen capturing programs (e.g. QuickTime can now do it for you) but it adds a professional element that the others don't.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content