CNET Editors' review
CCleaner joins the line of tune-up utilities designed for Mac, as they need tightening up just as Windows computers do. The free app aims to clear the OS X system and give it a shot of fresh life, and all this is provided within a simple, easy-to-understand user interface, although some of its functions aren't as easy to understand.
The app ships with a nice, clear interface displaying information about the version number, the Mac computer's tech specs, and three vertical icons: Cleaner, Tools, and Options. We liked the speed of the analysis process and the fact that it delivers a detailed report of files found and their sizes. During our testing, the app returned more than 5,000 junk files when we ran the CCleaner Analyze tool, which took more than 2GB of the available space; the program wiped them all after we clicked Delete. In other words, it is a very simple app to use. However, the meaning of the Erase Freespace and Repair Permissions options wasn't too clear from the documentation, so you will need to do an additional Google search if you would like to use CCleaner running these commands instead of Disk Utility, the native OS X app.
The overall cleaning process resulted in our system booting much faster than before, which is the aim of the app. If you are looking for a good app for system cleaning, CCleaner could be a viable option, yet the other features, such as Uninstall apps at request, Repair Permissions, and Erase Freespace can be done safely by using other methods. CCleaner is most effective in making your Mac clean.CCleaner for Mac - Clean and optimize your Mac - Download Video Previews:
CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Mac to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.
What's new in this version:
- Added Login Item management.
- Added removal of un-needed languages from applications.
- Added Gatekeeper support for Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8).
- Fixed bug that could cause results to be reported incorrectly.
- Improved updating of cookie list after cleaning.
- Improved support for cleaning individual rules.
- Empty results are now hidden from detailed Analysis results.
- Fixed issue that could incorrectly identify a running browser. ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Does what is says if you read the directions first"
Version: CCleaner 1.04.148
FREE!! IF you read the directions first, and take the 5 minutes to get familiar with the control screens, it does what is says it will do -- on both Mac OS X and Windows 7. I cleaned out more than 450MB worth of junk (each) on three separate machines; the oldest a 4.75 yr old Mac Book Pro. Even my three week old Mac Book Pro was faster after I did all the initial set up and data transfers.
Now I run the program every day on my laptop before shutting down for the night; and on my wife's at least once a week.
The directions are not the best, and I almost deleted some items that were program required. BEFORE you delete anything the first time, scroll through all the file names.
Better to have to do it a few times than have to re-install a needed program.
Worth the time and did I mention, it's FREE!!!
"Oh dear ... not up to prime time yet!"
Version: CCleaner 1.04.148
It was certainly fast in analyzing my Mac.
Not certain that the program is playing ball with me. It states my Safari cache is about 1.2 GB but when I examine the cache in the library it only appears to be 300 MB. besides, I can delete this from Safari. Also, it doesn't fill me with happiness that there is no warning that deleting cookies will also delete some useful passwords as well. Choosing which cookies to keep is actually in the options menu.
HEY SHARWY! IS YOUR CAPS LOCK STUCK? Just to point out that you have damned the Windows version here but this is the Mac version page. Ah well!
"Stellar program - AS ALWAYS!"
Version: CCleaner 1.04.148
Simple to use
Easy to understand interface
Fast, efficient cleaning of general crap
Ability to save cookies for your favorite or frequently visited sites
Works on the Mac just like the Windows version on the PC
Listening to bad reviews on this great "freebie app" written by people who should not own a computer or at least never do any maintenance themselves
I've used the Windows version of CCleaner ever since I found and learned about it on Download.com many years, operating systems and computers ago. The savvy user will always read the basics at least and learn how the program functions to know what it will do for you. This program is one of the "must haves" in your toolbox for keeping your computer in top shape and like-new performance. I add this app to ever computer I have worked on for family and friends because it works that good and is pretty much idiot proof (with the exception of one reviewer so far).
The Mac version loaded easily in my wife's iMac (3 yr old). Her iMac was experiencing some sluggish performance and odd behaviors but still worked OK - just not as quick as it use to be. Mind you - I don't use her Apple computer (or this would have been tinkered with months/years ago) and it was a wise investment to stop her from dealing with the varied issues Windows PCs seem to always have. Macs just simply work without all the cryptic messages you encounter on a Windows machine (at least prior to Windows 7 - but that's another review).
Anyway, the CCleaner for the Mac did the quick analysis (less than 30 seconds) and came back with a whopping 1.7 Gigabytes of junk it could clean up from using the original settings of the app. Most users would not need to set it to do anything more. The speed increase was immediate and incredible! This application should be used regularly and especially anytime you experience a glitch, strange or unusual activity.
I did not lose anything that was not safe to be deleted - remember that I am using the basic settings that the application initially comes with. The only addition I included was to identify the cookies of websites I wanted to keep.
This is a great program from the folks at Piriform who have provided the end user with a freebie app that does a superb job. Both thumbs up!
"wiped my entire hard drive clean"
Version: CCleaner 1.04.148
NOT A SINGLE ONE
IF YOU WANT TOO WIPE A HARD DRIVE THEN BY ALL MEANS DOWNLOAD IT. I USE MY COMPUTER FOR WORK AND I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS I DELETED THE PROGRAM FROM ALL FIVE OF MY COMPUTERS.
DON'T GET IT
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content