Editors' Note: Avast Free Antivirus is free to use for home, non-commercial use. It only requires user registration before the end of the initial 30-day trial period
Avast Free Antivirus is based on multiple protective layers that work together to provide security. The product is designed for the average consumer who wants easy-to-use protection for basic email and web surfing. It is limited to home and non-commercial users. New features match top detection with increased efficiency. Computer memory requirements for the new antivirus and antispyware engine have been cut in half. Scanning is 40 percent faster, saving both time and computer resources. Complete rootkit protection includes real-time detection to ward off initial installation, on-demand scanning and boot-time scans.
The user friendly 5.0 has a new interface with easy-to-adjust settings, a context-sensitive help menu and graphs showing ongoing protection activities. Users can set the time and conditions for complete scans, with avast even waking up their computer from hibernation for midnight scans before putting it back to bed. Multiple shields prevent the spread of malware via email by checking incoming and outgoing emails for suspect content, identify malware by its anticipated behavior or by looking out for unusual activity and attempts at system modifications.
What's new in this version:
- Scanning and virus chest features now accessible even from Windows Safe Mode;
- Enhanced compatibility with various Winsock LSPs;
- Various improvements in the avast! sandbox;
- Improved cleaning of file infecting viruses;
- Added compatibility with screen readers;
- avast! should now be reasonably accessible to visually impaired users;
- Minor improvements in the installer, especially when upgrading from avast v4.8;
- avast! Scr... See all new features »