CNET Editors' review
Professional photographers and serious digital camera hobbyists will appreciate this free beta for Adobe's Lightroom. Upon launching the program, your library of images appears at the bottom of the screen for easy selection, with drag-and-drop functionality to bring selected images into the workspace for proofing. Lightroom's main functions are divided into four sections including Library, Develop, Slideshow, and Print, each offering different options for working with your images. Using the Library tab, it's easy to pick and choose the best images of a set, with layout options for viewing similar images side by side and zoom options for image comparison. Image ratings let you differentiate among similar shots so when you're done you know which images to keep. The Develop tab lets you experiment and manipulate several photo attributes and color correction values with easy-to-use sliders. The Slideshow tab lets you assemble a presentation of your best shots, giving you control over positioning, fade transitions, and how quickly Lightroom displays each image. When it's time to Print, Lightroom lets you work with a number of options for positioning, background, and photo information overlays (such as title, exposure, date, and keywords) to make your final product look the way you like.
While lightroom is fairly easy to work with, more effects to apply to images would have been a welcome feature, as would the ability to quickly create and execute layouts for Web pages. The absence of music during slide shows and automatic digital-camera or memory-card detection are also noticible exclusions from the Windows version. We found Lightroom to be a useful tool for those who are serious about their photos. This free prerelease offers both pro and casual users a chance to check out Lightroom's capabilities before Adobe sets the professional price point in January 2007.Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3:
From Adobe Systems:
Lightroom is Adobe's effort to engage the professional photography community in a new way, giving you the opportunity to kick the tires and shape the feature set of a new tool being created just for you. Ultimately, we want Lightroom to be truly built from the ground up by photographers, for photographers, helping solve your unique workflow challenges.
Adobe Lightroom beta 4 features many changes and enhancements including: Precision white balance selection tool; Facility to easily rename and convert files to DNG after they've been imported to the Lightroom library; More streamlined and elegant user interface; Filter and search presets to more quickly find the photographs you want.
Note: Adobe Lightroom beta 4 expires February 28, 2007. It requires a free Adobe membership. The Download Now link will take you to a page to log in or register.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Download, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit, adjust, filter, and collage your images; take your photos...
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 32 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Bait and switch"
Version: Adobe Lightroom beta 4
Good program, maybe, if you have $400 spare
Advertises itself as "no limitations" free software for a beta version but in reality this is a 30 day trial of $400 software, NOT beta.
Just another bait and switch. It might be a good product but I dislike the dishonesty.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content