CNET Editors' review
TACO or cookies; which are better for your system? If it's your computer system, then TACO is the clear answer. It stands for Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out. This program identifies and monitors the tracking cookies that advertisers and marketers try to insert in your computer, from which they report your browsing habits and other activity. With TACO, you can see, track, and delete these cookies, both globally and on a site-by-site basis. Abine's free add-on adds TACO to Firefox.
Abine TACO installs like any Firefox extension and places an icon with a drop-down menu in the add-ons area at the end of Firefox's address bar. Clicking this icon shows you how a particular Web site is tracking your online habits, identifies any social networks or third-party activity, including ad companies, and blocks traffic. Clicking Open produced an antivirus-style interface that gave us a more detailed overview of our Privacy Info as well as access to the program's Preferences and the Opt-out & Block feature. The toolbar icon's menu also accesses the main interface and lets users quickly allow or block cookies for sites. The program offers some interesting extras, such as safe surfing, e-mail, and phoning; secure online transaction protection; log-in helpers, and the capability to generate temporary, disposable contact information. Some of these modules require an upgrade from the free version, apparently. We focused on TACO's capability to track and delete ad cookies, and for that job it seems uniquely qualified. TACO produces privacy alerts when it detects suspicious activity. We merely had to click the toolbar icon to track, block, or allow cookies and access TACO's other features. While TACO is unquestionably more complex than the average Firefox add-on, it also offers far more in the way of help, guides, and support, including screencasts, a privacy blog, and a Tour & Setup tutorial.
By now it should be obvious that putting Firefox on a TACO diet helps maintain and protect your privacy and security by blocking the junk before it gets in. Despite doing a lot, Abine TACO is unobtrusive and surprisingly easy to use.
Most advertising networks will continue to collect detailed information about your web browsing habits, which in some cases is retained indefinitely. Even if you use the opt-out feature to opt-out of behavioral advertising, many companies will still attempt to insert other unique, identifiable cookies into your browser in order to track your browsing across multiple sessions. If you value your privacy, and want to do something to protect yourself from the identifiable cookies which advertising networks will try to insert into your browser, you should use TACO to either block third party cookies and or to delete all cookies at the end of each browsing session, something you can now do on a site by site basis for both first and third party cookies, and covering browser, DOM and flash cookies. In addition, many companies use web bugs and trackers to dynamically track your browsing behavior across multiple websites. TACO gives you full control visibility over what trackers are present at a site and full control over blocking trackers globally or on a site-by-site basis.
What's new in this version: Version 4.44 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
- Surf the Web with an immersive browser for Windows 7 and Vista.
- Learn who's tracking your Google Chrome browsing behavior.
- Clear all traces of your Web site visits.
- Clean your browser history, cache, and cookies selectively.
- Download YouTube video from your browser with one-click.
- View and manage cookies within your Web browsers.
- Record keystrokes to a log file and send it privately via e-mai...
- Move all cookies to Firefox standard cookies.txt file.
- Generate and manage various passwords.
- Protect your privacy and defend yourself against network survei...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple way to stop yourself from being tracked"
Version: Abine TACO 1.50
Cool UI shows which trackers are following you & easily lets you block them; options to add additional privacy apps
Not really a con, but I wish they had it for Safari/IE
Lets you take do not track into your own hands. Everyone should be using this.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content