CNET Editors' review
AVG LinkScanner for Mac lets you know in advance if a Web site contains malicious threats. Already an enormously popular developer for the Windows antivirus category, AVG launches this bare-bones Mac version of its Link scanning technology to help prevent Mac users from visiting dangerous Web sites. As the only product AVG makes for Mac, this small program is not meant to sell you anything as there are no paid products from AVG for the Mac platform.
The Mac-like interface of LinkScanner lets you activate two types of protection. The Search Shield uses Web browser plug-ins that check search results when you perform a search on a popular search engine such as Google. An informative icon is displayed next to each result to give you information about the site before clicking a potentially dangerous link. The Surf Shield provides real-time protection by scanning Web sites in advance, and issues a warning and actually prevents you from surfing to known dangerous sites.
AVG LinkScanner is a solid program that will help protect Mac users from dangerous sites, but will have a hard time enticing a Mac audience that doesn't believe their Macs are vulnerable to online threats. As a free program that you can launch at start-up and works across all the popular Mac browsers, we think this software is a no-brainer for safer surfing. As Macs get more popular, they become a bigger target for virus writers, and having a solid line of defense in place on your Mac could never be construed as a bad idea.AVG LinkScanner - Scan any link, page , and address - Download Video Previews:
From AVG Technologies USA:
AVG LinkScanner for Mac checks each Web page in real time before it opens on your Mac. If it sees trouble ahead, it stops you. It's quick and easy to install and won't get in your way. If the page is infected, it stops you from opening it. (This happens so quickly that you don't even notice it). AVG LinkScanner works in real time and checks for active threats before you land on a page. Search-Shield scans search results and places a safety rating next to each link so you know where it's safe to click. This applies when searching with Google, Yahoo! or Bing. AVG LinkScanner runs silently in the background--you won't even notice it until a threat is detected. Minimal use of system resources so it won't slow down your Mac.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Stop viruses and spyware automatically before they reach your c...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 60 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Works OK with Lion (10.7.5) and Mountain Lion (10.8.2)"
Version: AVG LinkScanner 12.0.1807
Stays out of the way and does its job. Unobtrusive - on 2009-vintage iMac and 2011-vintage MacBook Pros.
Occasional, random banner messages about missing plugins or features not active can be puzzling.
Works well and stays in the background. But I have yet to have a message about nasty websites. Maybe I just haven't yet stumbled into the wrong neighbourhoods. ;-)
"Avoid if running Mountain Lion"
Version: AVG LinkScanner 12.0.1807
Consults a frequently-updated database of malicious websites.
Incompatible with Mountain Lion. Causes kernel panics.
Slows Safari to a crawl.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content