CNET Editors' review
AVG LinkScanner for Mac lets you know in advance if a Web site contains malicious threats. Already an enormously popular developer for the Windows antivirus category, AVG launches this bare-bones Mac version of its Link scanning technology to help prevent Mac users from visiting dangerous Web sites. As the only product AVG makes for Mac, this small program is not meant to sell you anything as there are no paid products from AVG for the Mac platform.
The Mac-like interface of LinkScanner lets you activate two types of protection. The Search Shield uses Web browser plug-ins that check search results when you perform a search on a popular search engine such as Google. An informative icon is displayed next to each result to give you information about the site before clicking a potentially dangerous link. The Surf Shield provides real-time protection by scanning Web sites in advance, and issues a warning and actually prevents you from surfing to known dangerous sites.
AVG LinkScanner is a solid program that will help protect Mac users from dangerous sites, but will have a hard time enticing a Mac audience that doesn't believe their Macs are vulnerable to online threats. As a free program that you can launch at start-up and works across all the popular Mac browsers, we think this software is a no-brainer for safer surfing. As Macs get more popular, they become a bigger target for virus writers, and having a solid line of defense in place on your Mac could never be construed as a bad idea.AVG LinkScanner - Scan any link, page , and address - Download Video Previews:
From AVG Technologies USA:
AVG LinkScanner for Mac checks each Web page in real time before it opens on your Mac. If it sees trouble ahead, it stops you. It's quick and easy to install and won't get in your way. If the page is infected, it stops you from opening it. (This happens so quickly that you don't even notice it). AVG LinkScanner works in real time and checks for active threats before you land on a page. Search-Shield scans search results and places a safety rating next to each link so you know where it's safe to click. This applies when searching with Google, Yahoo! or Bing. AVG LinkScanner runs silently in the background--you won't even notice it until a threat is detected. Minimal use of system resources so it won't slow down your Mac.
What's new in this version:
- New OSes and browsers support:
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
Firefox 7, 8
- New GUI layout
- Scanned data and blocked threats statistics
- Improved update functionality
- Safe Search behavior unification (verdict icons displayed by default on every supported search engine)
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 60 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Does what it says well."
Version: AVG LinkScanner 12.0
Easy to install, low overhead, easy to use, now works with Mac OS X Lion.
Can;t keep up with Firefox revisions
Other than the fact that every time a new version of Firefox comes, the software plug in is disabled, it's a good product.
Can;t really fault them for that one, thought as Firefox has an insane upgrade cycle. Other components still work behind the scenes.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content