CNET Editors' review
IRC users should check out the latest release of mIRC, the shareware Internet Relay Chat client. We found mIRC 7.25 to be a capable, full-featured chat tool the last time we tried it. Since then, mIRC's developers have made a number of improvements (over 60, in fact), including improved support for running the program in portable mode on more than one PC using a file-hosting service. A few bugs have been fixed; for instance, the editbox no longer beeps endlessly when the maximum message length is reached. The SSL warning dialog has been improved, too, as has the Incremental Search feature. And you can change the Treebar's fonts from the context menu. The full-featured mIRC 7.25 is free to try for 30 days and costs $20. We ran it as a clean installation in 64-bit Windows 7.
MIRC's installation wizard offers lots of options, including automatic updates, backups, and the option to run the program as a portable application from a USB drive. You can register mIRC immediately, but the 30-day trial omits no options or features, including full access to IRC's network. The days of clunky, primitive chat apps are long gone. A clean interface, left-hand sidebar, tile or cascade window options, and other touches give mIRC a modern look and make it an easy starter for anyone who's set up a chat client before. We entered a screen name and alternative but were able to get our first choice. We clicked Continue, not Connect: first we wanted a look at mIRC's options. Opening the mIRC Options dialog showed a tree view with many configuration choices, including the improved Sounds options.
Accessing IRC via mIRC is easy. Press the Connect icon, and mIRC does the rest. It logged us on and presented a searchable (and optional) mIRC Favorites pop-up listing available channels in a huge range of topics, with Join, Add, Edit, and other commands. Most of mIRC 7.25's updates make themselves felt in the app's smooth, reliable performance. Of course, everything we liked about mIRC still applies to the new version. And the full-featured trial means no worries.mIRC - Chat with other people and participate in group discussions - Download Video Previews:
mIRC is a full featured Internet Relay Chat client for Windows that can be used to communicate, share, play or work with others on IRC networks around the world, either in multi-user group conferences or in one-to-one private discussions. It has a clean, practical interface that is highly configurable and supports features such as buddy lists, file transfers, multi-server connections, IPv6, SSL encryption, proxy support, UTF-8 display, UPnP, customizable sounds, spoken messages, tray notifications, message logging, and more.
What's new in this version: Version 7.14 adds a log files dialog, clear history dialog, color coded file transfer progress bars to indicate transfer status, improves file transfer speeds, and many other changes and fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage e-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Input the Instagram user name and download all his photos with ...
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
- Access your Facebook account quickly and easily.
- Receive Facebook notifications, messages, friend requests direc...
- Download pictures from Instagram to your PC.
- Transfer mail archives from Mac OS to Outlook for Windows.
- Unlock your mobile cell phones.
- Create ringtones from MP3, WMA, WAV, Audio CD, and OGG files.
- Chat over the Internet with up to 120 users via your Web camera...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 347 votes
Current version:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"It's good. useful to talk to people"
Version: mIRC 7.14
easy to use basics
the harder stuff is harder to figure out for newbies
Basic use is easy to figure out but it's hard to figure out what the buttons and functions do if you're a newbie
"The only IRC app you need."
Version: mIRC 7.14
Small install. Great Options. Reliable. FREE!
This is the only IRC app I use. It's free and it's never left me wanting more!
"As good as ever"
Version: mIRC 7.14
For the non-expert it works just fine and can be tweaked to your own likings.
There is nothing I wish to criticise.
I have been using mIRC for 7 or 8 years, so I think I must like it. I have no intention of stopping using it.
"Nice IRC client"
Version: mIRC 7.14
easy to use. good support
I have no cons
give this a try. Every now and then Khaled will set up so all sales go to a charity instead of him. May even want to ask about it in the forum. I have used this software for many years. Has always been dependable.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content