CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
iBooks is a stylish, crisp-looking, colorful e-book reader and storefront that runs on Apple's iOS devices. The latest version of the software includes support for textbooks, a new addition to the iBookstore for students.
As with other e-book readers, iBooks responds to the device's accelerometer and switches between landscape and portrait modes. Its controls disappear when unused, and a swipe (or tap on the left or right side of the screen) will cause the pages to turn. iBooks' page-turning is smooth and engaging, with page corners digitally curling toward you as you advance, but this behavior is only a minor cosmetic difference between what you'll find in other digital readers. iBooks also includes a progress bar to show how far you are along in a book, and you're able to change the reader's font size.
Also like other e-readers, you can add bookmarks, define individual words, do quick Web lookups, and add notes. You also can underline words, sentences, and paragraphs for later viewing. All five major book publishers stock iBooks' digital shelves (Penguin, Harper Collins, Simon and Schuster, MacMillan, and Hachette), which makes the content stack up against competing apps and electronic bookstores.
iBooks 2 added support for textbooks and gave students the ability to purchase and download course textbooks that are supported. Newer features launched alongside the new iPad give users the ability to highlight text in a number of colors with the swipe of a finger. The interactive media and features for textbooks will definitely be useful to students. It's hard to say how many schools will adopt all iPad textbooks because of price limitations, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out as we get closer to the new school year.
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest bestselling books or your favorite classics - day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark or add notes to your favorite passages
- - Download best-sellers and classic books from the iBookstore
- - Find fully illustrated books, including children's picture books, designed art books, photo books, cook books, and more in the iBookstore
- - Experience gorgeous fullscreen Multi-Touch books designed for iPad. These books are filled with interactive features, diagrams, photos, videos, and more
- - Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it a part of your permanent collection
Great ways to read
- - Choose from seven beautiful fonts, three easy-to-read page colors, and three useful page layouts--including Book, Full Screen, and Scroll
- - iBooks beautifully renders text written in 18 different languages
- - Highlight your favorite passages and add notes with the built-in bookmarking features
- - Share quotes, or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
- - Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature
- - Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment
- - Use iBooks with the amazing accessibility features in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch--such as speaking the words on a given page
- - Print PDF documents and notes you've written in iBooks using AirPrint
- - Organize your books and PDFs into personal Collections that appear on all your devices
- - Keep your bookmarks, highlights, notes, and your current page up-to-date everywhere using iCloud
- - See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud--right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
Supports open standards
- - iBooks also opens content published in the ePub and PDF formats
- - Add ePub and PDF documents to iTunes and sync them to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- - You can also add PDF documents from Mail to your iBooks PDF Collection
- - The iBookstore is available in many countries. The selection of books in the iBookstore may vary by country
- - Downloading from the iBookstore or using iCloud features requires an Apple ID and Internet access
- - All books created with iBooks Author can only be read with iBooks on iPad
- - Books created with iBooks Author require iOS 5 or later. iBooks Author 2 requires iOS 5.1 or later
- - Syncing books made with iBooks Author requires iTunes 10.5.3 or later
- - Adding books and PDFs from outside the iBookstore to iBooks requires they be DRM-free and synced using iTunes 10.5.3 or later
- - Some PDF documents may not be compatible with iBooks
What's new in this version: The iBookstore in Japan now has hundreds of thousands of books available for purchase, including fiction, manga, light novels and more. This version of iBooks also includes a number of improvements for reading Asian language books.
More Products to Consider
- Read books on your iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad with Lexcycle S...
- Translate English to Tamil.
- A truly offline dictionaries app allows you to browse up to 46 ...
- *This is a British English Dictionary and Thesaurus. If you are...
- 100% FREE and Full version, Urdu Dictionary - English To Urdu D...
- This is English - Urdu and Urdu - English Dictionary ( ), conta...
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary***************************...
- This is English - Hindi and Hindi - English Dictionary ( ), con...
- Learn more about how to deal with the Premenstrual Syndrome.
- Learn more about Islam on your iOS device.
- Best English to Telugu dictionary in the market. It has more th...
- Manage food calories to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Archiemd's 3D guide to the most common health conditions, proce...
- This is English Tagalog Dictionary, containing 39000 translatio...
- Carry the world's most popular dermatology atlas on your mobile...
- T3, la rivista di tecnologia pi venduta al mondo disponibile su...
- Mobile Apps are now a major solution for better communication b...
- Tom is your pet cat, that responds to your touch and repeats ev...
- Alien Blue for iPad is the natural evolution of Reddit for a la...
- Spirometry is the most common of the pulmonary function tests m...
- Learn how to create your own interactive iBooks for the iPad wi...
- Never miss another course, lecture and lab, track tasks and dea...
- Trauma Life Support presents the latest ACS guidelines for asse...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Fantastic App v1.1, the bookstore is in the app!"
Version: iBooks 1.1
Everything is in one place. The iBookstore is setup similar to the iTunes Library. BUT it's in the app! THe book shelf is very inviting. You can even get the Apple Users Manuals for your iPad / iPhone / iPod in bookform, nicely illustrated in color!
Wished there was an uTube demo of how to get the most of this app.
Wish the search for magazines and titles could be sorted by price as well.
Best of all it's FREE, it works wonderfully! Get it! Book prices are par with B&N Nook and Amazon Kindle. I'd download this app just so I can get the owner's manuals ( 400+ pages) in a friendly format!
"excellent yet there are more things could be better"
Version: iBooks 1.0
portability, quick and trustable
itunes compatibility, there is no usb, not user friendly
i have not too much experience about the product, still it is making a challenge in using new and maybe up-to-date technologies. this challenge might become a barrier for those who are stagnant or want to be changed.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content