CNET Editors' review
Yahoo Zimbra Desktop offers Yahoo Mail users offline access to their Webmail accounts, as well as providing document and spreadsheet support. As with Yahoo's Webmail interface, it mirrors Microsoft Outlook's look and keyboard shortcuts.
Zimbra Desktop can handle multiple accounts, including access to the competition. Configuring for Gmail, or any other mail service, was dead simple. One similarity to Gmail are the small triangles that appear next to e-mail messages that are part of a back-and-forth exchange. Clicking on the triangle expands the e-mail header list so you can see all the messages of the exchange. There's also tagging, which Zimbra uses much like Gmail's labels. Unfortunately, Zimbra's tags and Gmail's labels didn't synchronize. And tags are specific to an e-mail account, so clicking on a tag will show only a subset of messages within one.
However, it's not perfect. It didn't seem connected to our Yahoo address book for contacts or calendar for events. And unless you instruct it otherwise, Zimbra Desktop will synchronize your in-box but not folders where you may have filed message. You can manually sync folders when you click on them, but the process worked erratically.
Zimbra Desktop's productivity suite elements are workable, but barely so. Unlike Google Docs, Microsoft Office files can't be opened, and there's no presentation software. The spreadsheet is extremely spartan, and runs awkwardly inside the word-processing application. Stability also became an issue when running a spreadsheet and minimized applications.
Ever forget about an important message in your other e-mail accounts? Can't find a message in the account right in front of you? Yahoo Zimbra Desktop is the next-generation email application that makes e-mail easy again. Get e-mail, contacts, and calendar all in one application. Easily set up Zimbra, Yahoo. Mail Plus, AOL and Gmail email accounts with the Account Wizard. Any POP or IMAP email account can be added to Zimbra Desktop, there's no limit to the size of your email storage, and Zimbra Desktop works online and offline.
What's new in this version: First add.
More Products to Consider
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Convert Outlook 2011 OLMs for import into Apple Mail, Thunderbi...
- Import or convert PST for Apple Mail, Entourage, Outlook 2011; ...
- Repair corrupt Entourage database files.
- Extract e-mail addresses from Apple Mail, Outlook for Mac, and ...
- Convert eml files to emlx files and .mbox folders.
- Read and organize email faster with this social networking-enab...
- Batch e-mailer for newsletters.
- Archive and protect your email.
- Apple Mail plugin that sends Growl notifications when you recei...
- Send irresistible invitations to friends, vital updates to busi...
- Filter email, trace and report spam, works with virtually every...
- Junk mail filter for Apple Mail.
- Apple Mail to Outlook for Mac 2011 (OLM), Entourage Archive, or...
- Intelligently reminds to you include e-mail attachments if you ...
- Listen to email, RSS news...on your iPod.
- Archive emails and attachments you have received or sent using ...
- Full-featured mail notifier for email accounts that support IMA...
- Convert Outlook pst files to mbox.
- Bulk email marketing and personalized mass mailing.
- Spam & virus filter.
- Spam and virus filter for Communigate Pro.
- InfoClick is a uniquely powerful email search tool for Apple's ...
- Mailsum gives you insight in your email behavior.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Yahoo Zimbra Desktop"
Version: Yahoo Zimbra Desktop beta 3 (build 1249)
* clean interface
* easy navigation
DON'T Minimise the window or you will have to end the process and restart the application. Process is oddly named. I would have expected something like "Zimbra.exe" instead it is "prism.exe" Located here ==> "C:\zimbra\zdesktop\.\win32\"
* Unable to display FULL headers for SPAM reporting.
* Not all options are available for Yahoo! Mail, such as sorting incoming messages. This needs to be done through the web interface on Yahoo! Web Mail.