CNET Editors' review
Convoluted setup, slow or missing proxy servers, and a poor interface is what you'll get with this disappointing privacy tool. XMicro Internet Security: Anonymous Surfing's tool-tray interface opens to a poorly constructed dialog that obscures function buttons and program information. You can work your way around the interface, but it only leads to more problems. When you do get everything working, you'll find settings affect only Internet Explorer. Confusingly, the Help file lists options not available with this application.
The Anonymous Surfing Tool is the only component to this utility. It's a proxy server that helpfully searches for the best available server. Unfortunately, that list is short and most servers are unresponsive or slow. Each time you want to change servers, the list must be reverified. It's a slow process, although there is an option to automatically change servers every 15 minutes to 3 hours. There is an easily set option to enter the IP address of a known proxy server, but you could simply enter the IP directly in Internet Explorer without using this utility.
Without a speedy proxy server, this program proves more of a hindrance than a helpful privacy tool. Novices won't find it simple enough, and advanced users won't be pleased with the features. You won't need the full eight-day demo to know that this program has little to offer users of any level.
Anonymous Surfing enhances your online privacy by hiding your IP address and location from all the Websites you visit. The application changes the Internet Explorer proxy settings so that IE uses one of thousands anonymous servers (which could be anywhere in the world) to connect to any Website you are visiting instead of directly connecting to it.
Features: Masks your IP address from all Websites; Offers a list of fastest and most secure anonymous proxy servers; Automatic proxy server switching; Integrates seamlessly with Internet Explorer; Proxy servers from varied number of countries to help you hide your identity; Server speed rating to enable you choose the best server manually; Database consisting of thousands of proxy servers; Automatic up-gradation to faster server; Downloads new updates automatically. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Hide your IP address for completely anonymous Web surfing.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Find, get, and show your IP address.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Surf the Web anonymously and determine what data your browser s...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Hide your IP address while you browse the Web.
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Hide your IP address and surf the Internet anonymously.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Get a secure and fastest proxy.
- Use distant services to compute data while coding your IP addre...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect your privacy while staying online.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Browse Internet anonymously.
- Protect your identity by hidding IP address.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Surf the Web anonymously and ensure online privacy and security...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I won't buy it"
Version: XMicro Internet Security: Anonymous Surfing 2
It is impossible to tell how good this program is, and this is why:
In this trial version, the process of checking proxies is EXTREMELY slow and the list of proxies is VERY limited.
Once the program had put you through the torture of checking available in this trial version proxies, you - or the program- choose the fastest connection- and when you use it, you are facing the connection speed which can only be described as DIAL-UP B.C. Watching my computer agony while it was loading the multiple frames, I was thinking that sending them via U.S. Postal Service would be faster. And I have a High Speed Connection.
This program has an 8-day trial limit, and whoever is in charge of the marketing of this program should have realized that this limitation was good enough.
They?ve put on top of it- the lousiest proxy connections list, thinking that it will induce me to buy the full version.
Effect of this ingenious sales strategy is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE.
Why? Very simple.
Right now I am not sure, if this proxy list will be improved once I paid my money, or it will remain the lousy self, shown in the trial version.
I am not risking my money to find out.
I would strongly suggest to fire your marketing Genius and stick with the idea that when you are trying to show off (which the entire purpose of the DEMO is)- try at least to pretend that you look good.
The program ?Hide My IP? listed on Cnet has only 3 days and 1 fake IP limit- but IT IS FLYING!
So, until the people in Xmicro fix this slow speed connection annoyance in the trial version - I can not tell if this program is good or bad. As a user I don?t care about anything, but ? how little speed I loose while using proxy, how few buttons I have to push and how stable my fake IP is.
The performance of the program is killed by the snail like proxies provided in the trial version.