CNET Editors' review
WinPatrol is a security program intended to help clean up your computer and protect against spyware, worms, and other things that might harm it or slow it down.
This security software is certainly not for the novice computer user. It's different from other software that typically scans for threats, and that's where it can get confusing. If you know an above-average amount of information about computers, you'll probably find certain tabs -- like Startup Programs and Delayed Start -- useful, but it's going to take a period of learning to really know what to do with ones like Cookies, File Types, and Hidden Files. This software does offer some Internet security, which we appreciated. The alert sound (dog barking) is cute but annoying after a while. Fortunately, that can be turned off. There's also a Help page for every tab -- though some of the tabs are not available in the free version -- and much of the information and instructions are written in a witty style, so even though you're taking in a lot of new information it won't be too boring or highbrow to understand. You're just simply not going to be able to enjoy the full benefits of this software right away, however, if you don't know much about the inner workings of your computer.
The download process was easy and simple. There weren't any problems while installing, either, so we're willing to give this a good rating.
From BillP Studios:
Clean up your Taskbar, ActiveX, Brower, and Startup programs. WinPatrol monitors and exposes adware, keyloggers, spyware, worms, cookies, and other malicious software. This program puts you back in control of your computer with no need for constant updates. WinPatrol's goal is to help you better understand what programs are running on your computer and to alert you to any new programs added without your permission. Unlike traditional security programs, WinPatrol doesn't scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. Instead, it uses a heuristic behavioral approach, taking a snapshot of your critical system resources, and then alerting you to any changes that occur without your knowledge.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect your PC from all kinds of virus threats.
- Check your system for viruses with a lightweight antivirus on a...
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Password protect your photos, movies, documents, or any other f...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect against any threats via USB drive and protect offline c...
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Lock computer to prevent unwanted access with Virtual Screen to...
- Lock computer to prevent unwanted access, keep people off your ...
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Lock programs and Web sites, and encrypt files and folders on-t...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Restrict the amount of time that a child or anyone uses their c...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Get updated virus pattern files.
- Stop viruses and spyware automatically before they reach your c...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 751 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content