CNET Editors' review
WinPatrol is a security program intended to help clean up your computer and protect against spyware, worms, and other things that might harm it or slow it down.
This security software is certainly not for the novice computer user. It's different from other software that typically scans for threats, and that's where it can get confusing. If you know an above-average amount of information about computers, you'll probably find certain tabs -- like Startup Programs and Delayed Start -- useful, but it's going to take a period of learning to really know what to do with ones like Cookies, File Types, and Hidden Files. This software does offer some Internet security, which we appreciated. The alert sound (dog barking) is cute but annoying after a while. Fortunately, that can be turned off. There's also a Help page for every tab -- though some of the tabs are not available in the free version -- and much of the information and instructions are written in a witty style, so even though you're taking in a lot of new information it won't be too boring or highbrow to understand. You're just simply not going to be able to enjoy the full benefits of this software right away, however, if you don't know much about the inner workings of your computer.
The download process was easy and simple. There weren't any problems while installing, either, so we're willing to give this a good rating.
From BillP Studios:
WinPatrol monitors and exposes adware, keyloggers, spyware, worms, cookies, and other malicious software. This program puts you back in control of your computer with no need for constant updates. WinPatrol's goal is to help you understand what programs are running on your computer and to alert you to any new programs added without your permission. Unlike traditional security programs, WinPatrol doesn't scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. Instead, it uses a heuristic behavioral approach, taking a snapshot of your critical system resources, and then alerting you to any changes that occur without your knowledge.
What's new in this version:
- Allows WinPatrol to start for current user or all users.
- Reduced monitoring during all sleep states to save battery usage.
- Fixed Reset function to remove duplicate Scotty icons.
- Fixed Reset function to remove duplicate Uninstall entries.
- Speeds up real-time detection.
- Fixed bug in system tray icon behavior that could have produce unknown results.
- Improved handling of repeating changes made by partner programs.
- Fixed "Automati... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Scan your installed programs and categorize them by their secur...
- Prevent Spyware and Malware running from your PC.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Keep your data safe with different encryption methods.
- Analyze installed and running applications on your PC from a US...
- Learn more about programs running on your system and be notifie...
- Get advanced security and encryption for your PC.
- Terminate programs, control shutdown and restart activities.
- Stop viruses and spyware automatically before they reach your c...
- Encrypt keystrokes to protect your browser from keyloggers.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 750 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Silent but deadly"
Version: WinPatrol 28.1.2013
Patrols my computer with little resources and keeps me out of trouble.
None I know of.
A neat little program that works flawlessly
"Must have software"
Version: WinPatrol 28.1.2013
The idea is very good. Gives the user the control of whats running in the background. Like this software.
No cons for this application