CNET Editors' review
Accurately check files utilizing 14 hash standards with this simple freeware executable. WinHasher's simple to use, dialog-sized, multitabbed interface makes it very easy to create and check hash files.
WinHasher can check and create 14 standard hash formats. Checking a single file is a mere matter of using the pull-down to select the hash format, browsing to the file, entering the known hash, then clicking Compare. The app immediately returns a positive or negative response. If you need a hash for a single file, you can use the same screen to calculate the hash.
Creating a hash file in the second tab is a bit more time consuming. Use check boxes to choose which hash functions you want created. A compact file browser opens to choose folders and files to include in the hash file. Click a button when you're finished and the hash values are immediately saved. Unfortunately, the app always gives the file the same name so you run the risk of overwriting previous hash files.
The final tab makes it a snap to compare a folder's hash file with the files included. One click to browse to the hash file and you're set. The app identifies the good, bad, and missing files.
Hash is of interest primarily to file traders and programmers. Both groups will find this application helpful and easy to use.
WinHasher is an easy-to-use, small stand-alone program that verifies a file has not been altered or tampered with since being signed by the author or publisher. Supported hash functions include CRC32, GOST, MD5, RIPEMD family, SHA family (SHA1), Tiger, and Whirlpool. In addition, WinHasher can verify or create MD5, HASH, and SHA256 hash files, allowing quick and easy verification of many files at once. Note WinHasher requires the Microsoft .NET Framework (version 2.0 or later). Version 18.104.22.168 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Beauty in Functional Simplicity"
Version: WinHasher 1.0.3
- Great simple UI.
- Generates: Nice choice of 'updated' more secure hash algorithm's.
- The output options are great.
- It can hash text -
Over years have played with many Hash programs. It's simplicity combined with it's sophistication is really welcome.The current version is 1.6.1............ The review is for v. 1.6.1, things changed since 1.0.3.
It's portable, small. Even if you have another hash app, putting WinHasher in a toolbox is easy and at under 100KB it becomes a no brainer.
Updated on Jun 15, 2013
Get with the program C|Net
"More than I'd expect"
Version: WinHasher 1.0.3
Compare checksums of different formats with a great interface
Has a multiple file package system
None that I can think of
Verify/check/compare checksums of different formats with a great interface, it also does the inverse process creating hashes but I didn't expect to have a sophisticated multiple file packages, that's great if you have projects with multiple files making it quicker and easier.