CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Google Play page where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Vonage Mobile is a nifty way to get free calls and texts, but only if you don't mind that it's frequently offline. It has a gorgeous layout and other good perks, though. Add in some decent call quality and a video-calling feature over Wi-Fi and 3G/4G, and you've got the makings of a good app.
Like most similar apps, calls, texts, and video chats are only free if your friend uses the service. During testing, only two contacts were already on the app. That's not a ringing endorsement. However, inviting people to Vonage Mobile is really easy and you get credit for third-party calls by doing it. You can find that and all of the app's other features right from its stylish menu. It brings up an alternate dialer and text inbox that look better than what Android offers by default. You can even browse your regular contacts. Unfortunately, the app was offline frequently during testing. The 50 percent of the time that it lets you make a call, the video quality was really solid. Audio was touch-and-go, which is unexpected from a company that's been doing voice calls for so long.
If all of your friends are already using Vonage Mobile, then this app is worth downloading. However, if you already use Skype or Viber, this one might not be cool enough to win you over.
Vonage Mobile is a free VoIP app that lets you make free international calls and send free texts with anyone else who has the app.* PLUS make free calls to U.S.A., Canada or Puerto Rico phone numbers for a limited time - up to 3000 minutes per month. ** Why vonage mobile? Free app-to-app calls and texts. The more friends you get to download vonage mobile, the more you can call and text for free. Hands-free calls. Make hands-free calls while on the go over bluetooth. Text photos, contact information and your location. Free. Directly from the app.* High definition audio, anywhere. Better voice quality calls than traditional cell phone calls. Works over Wi-Fi, 3G and 4G data networks worldwide. A better user experience. Add credit directly from Google Play -- you don't have to leave the app. Plus use your existing phone number and address book to call or invite friends worldwide. You'll never have to build new contact lists or search for usernames again. Low per-minute rates to non-app users. On average, 70% less than major mobile carriers and 30% less than Skype. Free calls and texts to any vonage number. But you do NOT need to be a Vonage phone service customer to use the app. By combining the best of free voice and message services, Vonage Mobile is the only international calling app you'll ever need. Vonage does not track or share with 3rd parties any user location data. Users must Allow Vonage Mobile access to Location Services on their device to share their location.
*Data rates may apply. **Limited-time free calling offer to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico is for personal, non-commercial calling and excludes calls to certain geographic locations, premium and special services numbers, satellite telephony services and other call forwarding services. Not to exceed 3000 minutes per month. ***Based on per-minute rates to the top 50 countries called. Comparison reflects published rates of leading mobile carriers in markets representing the majority of Android users.
What's new in this version: Version 1.51:
- Additional Audio Enhancements
- Bug Fixes
More Products to Consider
- Chat over VoIP or via instant messaging, share images and video...
- Call and text anyone, anywhere.
- Use your phone to make phone calls to any number in more than 2...
- Nimbuzz is everything you need to communicate for free.
- Make free Skype-to-Skype video calls, and call phones at Skype ...
- Get WhatsApp Messenger and say goodbye to SMS!.
- Get a community based service that lets you speak to your frien...
- Puffin Web Browser is the fastest web browser on the Android pl...
- Keep your privacy making free encrypted VOIP calls from your An...
- Provide Internet access to your laptop through your Android pho...
- Send greetings to whoever you care about.
- Monitor online shopping deals.
- Call over WiFi or 3G/4G to US/Canada at ultra low-cost internat...
- Make new friends, send free voice, video and photo messages.
- Call and IM your friends for free across multiple social networ...
- Free Network telephone softphone.CellPhone ID is Account.Free i...
- Tether your computer through the Android phone's data connectio...
- See who the unknown caller is, block unwanted calls and SMS, an...
- Connect your android to Internet using PC side network connecti...
- Download videos online from Internet to your Android phone.
- Incorporate a local Russian number and make toll-free calls bet...
- See, buy and share the best daily deals from iBOOD on your mobi...
- Turn your Android phone into a vehicle black box.
- Engage and exploit the Web with a clever Android browser.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Amazing Sound Quality, Love this app"
Version: Vonage Mobile 1.02
High Def codecs for true HD voice when calling from app to app... makes a HUGE difference. Just love it. Messaging is great as well, very fast. The setup takes about 2 minutes, no userids, no passwords, etc. and it uses your phone number as your caller id like no other calling apps do.
Could use video, hopefully that comes soon in a later release. Could also use MMS instead of regular text messaging. Again, hopefully that stuff comes in a later release. I read online that US minutes are only going to cost about one cent per minute after the free 3000 minute trial/gift is over... I'm reducing my AT&T minutes package accordingly... why pay $20 more to AT&T when I can pay $4 or $5 to Vonage app and use wifi and my unlimited data plan over 4g?
I just love it so far. It's a lot like Viber but allows you to call anywhere in the US or Canada right now for 3000 minutes for free. Compared to AT&T, that's like a $50 value, lol.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content