TextPad is a full-featured text editor offering a spelling checker, macros, and powerful formatting and file-storage options. TextPad has been implemented according to the Windows XP user interface guidelines, so great attention has been paid to making it easy for both beginners and experienced users. In-context help is available for all commands, and in-context menus pop up with the right mouse button. The Windows multiple-document interface allows multiple files to be edited simultaneously, with up to two views on each file. Text can be dragged and dropped among files.
In addition to using the usual cut-and-paste capabilities, you can correct the most common typing errors with commands to change case, and you can transpose words, characters, and lines. Other commands let you indent blocks of text, split or join lines, and insert whole files. Any change can be undone or redone, right back to the first change made. Visible bookmarks can be put on lines, and edit commands can be applied to lines with bookmarks.
Frequently used combinations of commands can be saved as keystroke macros, and the spelling checker has dictionaries for 10 languages. It also has a customizable tools menu, and integral file-compare and -search commands, with hypertext jumps from the matched text to the corresponding line in the source file (ideal for integrating compilers).
What's new in this version:
- WildEdit is automatically added to the Tools menu, if it has been installed.
- New German Spelling Reform (Die Neue Rechtschreibung) dictionary.
- New spell checker dictionary for Canadian English.
- Updated spell checker dictionaries for American and British English, Danish, German, Italian and Spanish.
- If a line was increased in length, then split between the first and second characters, the first of the... See all new features »