CNET Editors' review
Despite the explosion of online, e-book, and document publishing formats, TeX is still a cornerstone of academic, scientific, and technical publishing, as it has been since the late 1970s. TeX's mission has always been to make high-quality typesetting and publishing easy and consistent across platforms. LaTeX is the document markup language of TeX, and LaTeX editors are required to create TeX documents. ATG's Texmaker is a free LaTeX editor. It's an up-to-date, cross-platform-capable tool that integrates the features you need to prepare and create TeX documents in a single interface. It offers Unicode support and useful extras such as a spell checker, autocompletion, code-folding, and an integrated PDF viewer.
Texmaker's user interface bears a family resemblance to other program-specific text-editing tools, though with a sleek design that makes subtle use of color and highlighting to distinguish Texmaker from the old-timers still in use on workstations and desktops in academia, industry, and elsewhere.
The program initially launches with its Structure sidebar open next to the main view; we could toggle the sidebar open and closed as well as access the Messages/Log feature and Source Viewer from buttons along the lower edge. Texmaker includes many of its most important tools and extras in menus as well as toolbar icons and sidebar palettes. Some of the standouts are the Math menu, a Bibliography menu with submenus for Bibtext and Biblatext, and a Quick Build tool that offers not just LaTeX but also PDFLaTeX, MPost, Asymptote, and many other build languages. The Wizard menu's Quick Start, Quick Letter, Quick Tabular, and other wizards proved invaluable for learning to use Texmaker, with assistance from the User Manual, LaTeX Reference, and other items on the Help menu.
It's a tribute to Texmaker's design that we were able to quickly create a basic document, despite little experience with LaTeX. Texmaker is no more complex or difficult to use than many editing and desktop publishing tools aimed at the general user, and easier than some. The difference is that Texmaker is specific to LaTeX. If you regularly use LaTeX editors or work with TeX documents, give Texmaker a try.
Texmaker is a free, modern and cross-platform LaTeX editor for Windows system that integrate many tools needed to develop documents with LaTeX, in just one application. Texmaker includes Unicode support, spell checking, auto-completion, code folding and a built-in PDF viewer with syntax support and continuous view mode.
What's new in this version: Version 3.5 fixes the trouble about completion between brackets.
More Products to Consider
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Calculate Muslim prayer time and Qiblah direction anywhere in t...
- Read the CBR files.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- Solve differential equations on your PC.
- Encode several chemical similarity indices.
- Encode several chemical similarity indices.
- Estimate toxic hazard of chemical compounds.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Powerful and stable free LaTeX editor"
Version: Texmaker 3.5.2
Texmaker is a powerful free and stable LaTeX editor with a clean interface and a lot of functionalities : full unicode support, integrated pdf viewer, inline spell checking, syntax highlighting, autocompletion, snippets, block selection, code folding, support for regular expressions...
This free software is maintained by the same stable development team since 2003.
A svn support should be added.
"Great performance history - but becoming buggy."
Version: Texmaker 3.3.4
Cross-platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
I've used Texmaker on Windows and Ubuntu for years and had been very happy.
Recently added a mac to my line-up and installed Texmaker. There are some minor bugs - at least on OS X Lion. I tried using their issue tracker to report the bugs, but am very disappointed with the outcome.
The issues get marked "done" before they are resolved and now I know why I couldn't find other people with the same issues - the issues are being deleted by the development team. This is strange. Further, I was mocked by one of the developers for not being able to find the line of code with the error!
I shouldn't have to be able to edit the source of the program to be able to use it successfully.
If you don't mind it being a little buggy, then I say go for it! I was happy for a long time with Texmaker.
There are other cross-platform editors. While I don't expect perfection (in fact, I love open source projects), I do expect to not be mocked for reporting bugs.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content