CNET Editors' review
TeamViewer is an app that lets you connect to other Macs and PCs via the Internet to share desktops, transfer files, walk through presentations, and control other computers remotely. It's even free for noncommercial use, making it a great choice for your pro bono troubleshooting for friends and family, or for just accessing your own Mac from the road.
The interface is simple: you just open TeamViewer and you're prompted to either create a session or wait for one. A unique ID and password is created for each session, and you need TeamViewer on both computers (if you're helping someone, they can just download and run the small "TeamViewer QuickSupport module," so they don't even have to install the full app). Once a session is running, you can see the other computer's desktop on an inset window. Your level of control depends on the parameters you set for the session (Remote Support, Presentation, or File Transfer), and the interface and menus are straightforward, with intuitive touches like a big "X" that either user can click to end the session.
In the latest update to TeamViewer, you now have the ability to create meetings with up to 25 participants. You can now schedule meetings in advance within the app, perform a practice run before the big day, and then hold a meeting complete with video and other media -- on all your devices. In our test runs, we were able to get a meeting up and running and use many of the new features. We think TeamViewer users will appreciate the new meeting features because they're intuitive and don't require a lot of practice to create a meeting on-the-fly.
TeamViewer isn't perfect -- for example, it often feels less like a Mac app and more like a ported PC program, which it is -- but it's surprisingly stable, fast, and (perhaps most importantly) free for personal use. With extras like integrated chat, heavy-duty encryption, and new meetings support with tons of features, TeamViewer is definitely worth a download for anyone who needs this kind of functionality.TeamViewer - Control computers remotely - Download Video Previews:
TeamViewer is a simple and fast solution for remote control, desktop sharing and file transfer that works behind any firewall and NAT proxy. To connect to another computer just run TeamViewer on both machines without the need of an installation procedure. With the first start automatic partner IDs are generated on both computers. Just enter your partner's ID into TeamViewer and the connection is established immediately. With several million users worldwide TeamViewer is a standard tool to give support and assistance to people in remote locations. The software can also be used for presentations, where you can show your own desktop to a partner, e.g. to present a software solution. With the TeamViewer partner system you can establish single-click connections to partners and computers you connect to on a regular basis. TeamViewer offers secure, encrypted data transfer to maximize security.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed an installation issue with preinstalled version 7
- Some translation errors corrected
- Fixed a display issue with large partner lists
More Products to Consider
- Turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Find and scan all computers on your network and get easy access...
- Setup a WiFi hotspot or wireless router on your Windows compute...
- Perform scans on predefined port ranges.
- Remote control computers via the Internet, take part in online ...
- Optimize your wireless network's channel and signal strength.
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Surf anonymously at full broadband speed.
- Connect automatically to free WiFi networks.
- Access blocked web sites via anonymous proxy.
- Get notified when your servers and PCs stop working.
- Turn any computer with Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 i...
- Forward data between serial ports and establish communication.
- Monitor and display information associated with each running pr...
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Monitor, report, and alert on the availability and performance ...
- Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot.
- Query and control remote servers or other connected network dev...
- Count the total bytes received, sent, and bytes sent+received t...
- Extend LAN-like networks securely to distributed teams, mobile ...
- Improve the speed and reliability of any WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G or wi...
- Set up a coin operated internet cafe kiosk PC-game timer.
- Send and receive data on Telnet, SSH, Rlogin, and Raw protocols...
- Analyze and view remote network computer statistics.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 56 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content