CNET Editors' note: KG: was Platform: Macintosh & Mac OS X 10.5 Intel. I'm experimenting as this is a product solr won't show as popular.
CNET Editors' review
iAntiVirus is a free app that will scan for Mac-specific viruses and malicious software, both on your hard-drive and during real-time Web browsing. You access iAntiVirus through a menu bar icon, and the app can scan your Mac for current infections, with either a Quick Scan, a Normal Scan (longer but still relatively quick), or a Custom Scan of specific areas. You can set iAntiVirus to protect your Mac in the background (with a relatively modest resource footprint), and you can also schedule both scans and app updates every week, every day, or every other day, to make sure that you're protecting your computer using the most current virus definitions. Some anti-virus applications will scan for PC-specific threats as well (to make sure you're not passing on malicious software to PC users you interact with), but iAntiVirus is able to maintain a lower profile on your system by focusing on Mac threats only.
Arguably, the best anti-virus software for the Mac is already on your machine: the Mac OS itself, with its secure, Unix-based architecture and relative obscurity compared to Windows. There has never been a major virus or malicious software outbreak for OS X, so any antivirus app is of questionable usefulness--but iAntiVirus can provide some free peace of mind for anyone worried about future threats.
iAntivirus by Norton is essential virus protection built exclusively for your Mac. This simple yet powerful on-demand malware and virus scanner helps ensure you are protected from the latest malware threats with one simple download. The free, all-new iAntivirus protects your iPhoto pictures, iTunes music and all of your Apple Stuff you can't live without. iAntivirus also scans your Facebook wall for malicious links to keep you protected from online fraud, like phishing.
More Products to Consider
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Have up to 10 different Mac OS X docks.
- Complete protection against viruses and other Internet threats.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Partition recovery for mac utility retrieve lost folders from H...
- Removes the Boonana trojan horse.
- Simplifies invoicing; create professional invoices and quotes.
- Update your Mac OS networking software with the latest Open Tra...
- Avira Free Mac Security will keep your system clean and safe fr...
- Give your brain a workout.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Log keystrokes, passwords, IM chats, visited websites, take scr...
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Security solution designed exclusively for Apple Macintosh mach...
- Protect your privacy. Stop companies from tracking your browsin...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 108 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Almost killed my MacBook Pro!!!!! Be cautious!!!"
Version: Symantec iAntivirus 1.1
I THOUGHT I was protecting my computer from any little bugs, viruses or malware that might be out there that might slip through the Mac OS protective system. Instead, think the iVirus itself bit me!
For 2 weeks now my computer has been freezing up constantly and running so slow I thought I was back in the Apple IIe era. In other words, my computer was as slow as a turtle and I was ready to throw it out the window. Impossible to work with under such conditions. Almost spent $2300+ on a new computer, I was so frustrated. Did an internet search on the problem and o and behold! comments after comments referred to iVirus as a huge culprit and suggestions to uninstall. I did and my computer Immediately went back to it's normal, wonderful speed and performance. This is the first time (and I Have been on the internet since the Apple IIe era!! : > ) I've ever posted a comment such as this but felt it was imperative to help any others avoid this horrific situation themselves. Don't know WHY it was doing what it was doing, but it Was obviously the iVirus doing it. I got it to AVOID such problems and it ended up causing the grief and distress of an almost not working computer. FAIL
Version: Symantec iAntivirus 1.1
Uses a lot of the processor and causes the machine to run hot needlessly.
Not worth the extra wear and tear on the system fans
No widespread viruses on mac ever.
This program does add a little peace-of-mind to your system, however there is no credible reason to have it. It also uses a large amount of memory and made my older macbook run very hot and slow. It's just not worth it for the wear on the machine.