CNET Editors' review
SoftPerfect's WiFi Guard helps protect your small Wi-Fi network by scanning regularly for new and unrecognized devices, pinging to verify devices, detecting firewalls, and reporting anything suspicious so you can take action, if necessary. You don't need to know a lot about Wi-Fi networks to use Wi-Fi Guard. You just need to know a little about your own home or small business network (or networks) and who or what is allowed to connect to it. When an unauthorized device appears, you'll know your network security has been compromised. WiFi Guard scans all your network devices, so it works in PCs that lack Wi-Fi, too, and will display Wi-Fi data from your router. But it can only monitor Wi-Fi network adapters from a Wi-Fi-enabled PC.
WiFi Guard's compact user interface opens with a blank window, so the first job was to click "Settings" and select our Wi-Fi connection from the Network adapter menu. If there's more than one adapter or connection listed and you're not sure which to choose, look for an IP address. The unused connections will usually display all zeroes, while your active connection will display the IP address assigned by your ISP or router. We could disable audible alerts, enter custom IP ranges, and set how many devices the program can scan, simultaneously (up to 32) and scanning intervals in the Settings, too. We clicked "Scan Now," and WiFi Guard identified six devices: Our PC (This Computer), its Internet gateway, and three Unrecognized Devices flagged in red: The two PCs wired to our network, and our phone. Right-clicking flagged entries let us enter specific information and recognize devices.
WiFi Guard only sounds the alarm. It doesn't block devices or access your network settings. That's your job. But it's free, compact, easy to use, and lets you know if someone's accessing your home or small business network without your permission. We're glad WiFi Guard is on duty.
SoftPerfect WiFi Guard is a tool for a small WiFi network to keep it secure. It's a specialized network scanner that runs through your network at set intervals and reports immediately if it has found any new connected devices that could possible belong to an intruder. It pings computers and other network devices and displays those alive, detects firewalled computers that do not respond to ping, scans your network at a specified interval, and immediately alerts you if an unknown device is found.
What's new in this version: Version 1.0.3 added and updated several user interface languages and fixed issues with main window position when an auxiliary monitor was disconnected, detecting the default gateway on Windows with multiple adapters, and a crash when encountering a corrupted configuration file.
More Products to Consider
- Surf anonymously at full broadband speed.
- Turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Protect your WiFi network from encryption and brute force attac...
- Remote control computers via the Internet, take part in online ...
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Find and scan all computers on your network and get easy access...
- Setup a WiFi hotspot or wireless router on your Windows compute...
- Send and receive data on Telnet, SSH, Rlogin, and Raw protocols...
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Display all the computers which are connected to your system.
- Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot.
- Access blocked web sites via anonymous proxy.
- Get notified when your servers and PCs stop working.
- Optimize your wireless network's channel and signal strength.
- Forward data between serial ports and establish communication.
- Perform scans on predefined port ranges.
- Monitor and display information associated with each running pr...
- Monitor, report, and alert on the availability and performance ...
- Query and control remote servers or other connected network dev...
- Improve the speed and reliability of any WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G or wi...
- Count the total bytes received, sent, and bytes sent+received t...
- Extend LAN-like networks securely to distributed teams, mobile ...
- Connect automatically to free WiFi networks.
- Detect, monitor, and block unwanted network connection attempts...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Always enabled when using my home wi-fi"
Version: SoftPerfect WiFi Guard 1.0.2
Very simple, very friendly, very reasonably.
Absolutely not. Ah! Don't shoot the intruder.
It does its job. My password no one has cracked, but if it happens, I'll be warned about it. I know what to do with the intruder's MAC address.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content