CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
We're not sure we fit into Snapchat's target demographic, because we just didn't get it. It's a social app, which means it works best when you have lots of friends who also use it. The premise is fairly simple: take a picture, scribble a quick message on it, and send it to a friend. But you also have to set a timer for how long your friend can view the picture, which is where it lost us.
Before you start, you have to create a Snapchat account by entering your e-mail address and a password. After that, you'll be asked to create a username and enter your mobile number. To find friends, Snapchat has to have access to your contacts. Again, we're probably showing our age here, because all we could think about was our privacy. But we gave it access and it couldn't find any friends who were also using the Snapchat app - not a big surprise. Still, we were able to check out the app's features.
It taps into your iPhone's camera, but adds buttons for checking feeds, snapping a picture, and accessing Twitter and Facebook. We snapped a picture and, using the pen tool, scribbled a quick message on the picture with our finger. We selected 5 seconds on the timer, because, well, we're not sure why. Maybe if you were playing some kind of a seek-and-find game? We tapped the Save button and then Send, and selected our name from the Contact list since none of our friends use the app. Sure enough, a notification appeared in our feed screen where pressing and holding down revealed our picture for -- you guessed it -- 5 seconds.
That's pretty much the extent of the app. It worked without any hitches. If you're into snapping and sending pictures to friends, and want to add a more gamelike, social aspect to it, you'll find this app worthwhile. We'll stick to just sending our pictures through text or photo streams.
From Future Freshman:
Real-time picture chatting is finally available on iPhone!Snapchat is the fastest way to share a moment with friends. New & Noteworthy in iTunes Photography July 2011 With Snapchat you control how long your friends can view your message simply set the timer up to ten seconds and send. Theyll have that long to view your message and then it disappears forever. Well let you know if they take a screenshot!Build relationships, collect points, and view your best friends. Snapchat is instantly fun and insanely playful. Show your friends how clever you can be and enjoy the lightness of being!*****Snapchat welcomes and appreciates any questions or feedback! :)Write us an email: email@example.com or send us a Snap: teamsnapchat Well do our best to get back to you within 24 hours.Follow us on Twitter:@snapchatEnjoy!Team Snapchat
What's new in this version: -Save Snaps to Gallery-Find Friends from Facebook-View Snapchat Profiles
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Preview image files of different formats directly in Windows Ex...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content