CNET Editors' review
If you're looking to make free voice or video calls worldwide, Skype is a great start. Its clean and user-friendly interface makes interaction effortless, so you are ready to go as soon as you launch the app.
During our testing, we were impressed by the video and voice quality of Skype, which uses VoIP (Voice over IP) technology to enable communication worldwide without paying a cent. One of its best features is the chat and mood messages: if you are in the middle of something, you can inform your contacts about it or just type a text message instead of having a voice call. This is a nice feature on its own, but it's also handy if you don't have a microphone.
But this isn't the only feature you'll love: we also enjoyed Skype's ability to handle conference calling, group video calling, and screen sharing. In other words, if you have a reliable Internet connection, Skype can easily replace your phone and lower your communication bills.
To make calls, all you have to do is create a contact list of friends, family, and colleagues, but they must also have Skype, as only Skype-to-Skype calls are free. However, a great addition to the app is its ability to call landlines or mobile phones, but you'll need to purchase Skype credits to take advantage of this feature.
Its chatlike user interface makes Skype very easy to use, yet the key to optimum performance is a reliable Internet connection. As soon as you launch the app and start using it, you will surely place Skype among your favorite apps, just like we did after our test. Skype's useful features and intuitive user interface make the app appropriate for users of all levels.
Skype is a little piece of software that lets you make free calls to anyone else on Skype, anywhere in the world. And even though the calls are free, they are really excellent quality. If you and your friends, family or business contacts are using webcams, you can also make free video calls. You can even call landlines and mobile phones at really cheap per minute rates.
What's new in this version:
- Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration
- IM friends on Messenger
- Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon
- Open Chats in Multiple Windows
- Retina Display Support
More Products to Consider
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage e-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Create and share training videos, presentations, and screencast...
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
- Record anything that happens on your screen.
- Record anything on your PC in Full HD, up to 100FPS, with no la...
- Record screen and audio activity on your PC to create AVI and S...
- Transfer mail archives from Mac OS to Outlook for Windows.
- Record PC screen in HD quality with no lag.
- Record screen actions, video, and sound being played back on PC...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 330 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Skype 184.108.40.20646
still works great, until somebody comes with something better, and that will be the end of Skype and mikrozoft. and I have a feeling it's coming...
Sure, mikrozoft paid big bucks, and the on-going development is non-existent.
what they do is shuffle all the features, forth and back, to make look like "new"
Version: Skype 220.127.116.1146
excellent, BUT, there is no really any improvements in terms of features.
The Windows version is more user friendly
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content