CNET Editors' review
Drawing 3D models can be a challenging experience, and learning to use CAD can take a lot of time. A powerful and yet easy-to-maneuver tool, SketchUp Pro for Mac, allows you to create new 3D models or modify existing ones in no time.
Available as free to try, at around 65MB in size SketchUp Pro for Mac takes a bit longer to download on slower connections, but it is well worth the wait. The installation is quick and easy, and the program is stable and performs very well. Even though the interface is easy to navigate and very intuitive, if you are used to CAD, you'll most likely find it to be too simple and clean as only the top panel offers icons with tools. However, even with such a clean and intuitive interface, if you are not an experienced user, you'll most likely need time to get comfortable with the software and will surely find helpful hints and guides that appear very useful. The software offers an advanced export and import function to let you work with other popular CAD tools such as AutoCAD DWG format, OBJ, or 3DS files. Also, you can directly print the model from the app if you have a 3D printer. The program comes with the 2D companion LayOut, which can assist you in creating appealing digital presentations and documents combining 3D models with text and 2D elements.
Whether you are an engineer, architect, interior designer, or an amateur 3D designer, in SketchUp Pro for Mac you will find all the tools you need to create stunning 3D models. The trial version is available as a fully unlocked 8 hours free version of the software, which gives you enough time to fully test it before purchasing it.
From Trimble Navigation:
Developed for the conceptual stages of design, SketchUp is powerful yet easy-to-learn 3D software. We think of it as "the pencil of digital design". This award-winning product combines a simple yet robust tool set that streamlines and simplifies 3D design. SketchUp is used by professionals and consumers alike. It contains a unique interface that allows 3D forms to be created, viewed, and modified quickly and easily. The core of its simplicity is that you draw the edges of the desired model in 3D space, just as you would using a pencil and paper. SketchUp infers your design intent and automatically determines the nature of the lines and fill shapes to create 3D geometry.
More Products to Consider
- Create or download 3D models.
- 3D modeling, animation & rendering tool.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Design home and office interiors on Mac.
- Create various architectural designs.
- Explore new paths with this vector tool.
- 3D modeling, rendering, animation.
- Paint app similar to MacPaint & Microsoft Paint.
- Object-based CAD program.
- Create and process PDF documents.
- Convert PDF files to various formats.
- Page layout & design.
- Render 3D in professional environment.
- Reduce size of InDesign links; convert colors, formats & more.
- Batch process images.
- Capture stop frame animation, motion design and special effects...
- Create 3D graphics and animations.
- Work with CDR files on your Mac.
- Automate printing and exporting from InDesign.
- 3D design software.
- Photoshop plugin sharpens out-of-focus images.
- Update Adobe InDesign CC to Version 12.2.1.
- Convert PDFs and images to text via OCR.
- Automate InDesign output with hot folders.