CNET Editors' review
Although it hasn't exactly exploded into the mainstream music-listening population at large, the music-sharing application Simplify Media has a growing network of fans. When you install it, you must choose synchronization with with either Winamp or iTunes playlists, although you can change your preferred program after installation.
After setup and a restart of your music player, you'll see a "Simplify Media" selection in your left-hand navigation. Expand it, and you can browse all of the music available from you and your friends. A separately running Simplify Media application accessible via the Windows taskbar lets you add other friends with Simplify Media accounts and customize the program settings.
Claims of resource hogging and installation headaches are somewhat valid. Installing Simplify Media on Windows will likely require Apple Bonjour. It's included in the Simplify Media installation, but the slow download and subsequent install grated the nerves. Running Simplify Media, Winamp, and Simplify Media Peer, the process that streams media from your friends or remote computers, together uses more than a fair chunk of RAM.
Make no mistake with the minor quibbles: Simplify Media is an excellent and simple method of sharing music collections with friends or yourself in remote locations. We would like to see future versions become even more stable, as well as adding compatibility with other jukebox players.
From Simplify Media:
Enjoy music from home while at work or school. Explore friends' music while they are online. Just sign in, invite your colleagues and friends and start sharing your favorite songs. Simplify Media works with iTunes and Winamp, and it's simple, safe and free.
Version beta build 948 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version beta build 948 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Record any PC sound or your voice into a music file.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Record your own voice, music or any other internal & external s...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Record and edit audio like MP3, WAV, WMA files for artistic cre...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 18 votes
Current version:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content