CNET Editors' review
Although it hasn't exactly exploded into the mainstream music-listening population at large, the music-sharing application Simplify Media has a growing network of fans. When you install it, you must choose synchronization with with either Winamp or iTunes playlists, although you can change your preferred program after installation.
After setup and a restart of your music player, you'll see a "Simplify Media" selection in your left-hand navigation. Expand it, and you can browse all of the music available from you and your friends. A separately running Simplify Media application accessible via the Windows taskbar lets you add other friends with Simplify Media accounts and customize the program settings.
Claims of resource hogging and installation headaches are somewhat valid. Installing Simplify Media on Windows will likely require Apple Bonjour. It's included in the Simplify Media installation, but the slow download and subsequent install grated the nerves. Running Simplify Media, Winamp, and Simplify Media Peer--the process that streams media from your friends or remote computers--together uses more than a fair chunk of RAM.
Make no mistake with the minor quibbles: Simplify Media is an excellent and simple method of sharing music collections with friends or yourself in remote locations. We would like to see future versions become even more stable, as well as adding compatibility with other jukebox players.
From Simplify Media:
Simplify Media software connects you through iTunes, iPhoto and Front Row. Enjoy music and photos from home while at work or school. Explore friends' media collections while they are online. Free No hidden charges. No spyware. Easy Set-up is fast. No need to upload files to a website. Safe Only your group can access what you are sharing, and no one can see your other files. Universal Connect iTunes and iPhoto and PCs, Macs, Linux, iPhone and iPod touch without worrying about music or photo format.
Version 2.5 adds support for your iPhoto library, browsing remotely by Albums, Events and Faces; Seeing your geo-located images on a map with the Simplify Viewer.
What's new in this version: improve stability, increase performance and decrease CPU usage.
More Products to Consider
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Share your iTunes music library and access other iCommune music...
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Get the most out of social networking and the Web in this brows...
- Synchronize your iTunes music and video across multiple compute...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Put Cover Flow on your desktop.
- Listen to music with your friends anywhere they are with iTunes...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Listen to and record web radio.
- Let Gina from the Hawaiian island of Kauai test your music know...
- Control iTunes, make play lists, and find new music.
- Audio editor/recorder with effects, mixing, & unlimited undo.
- Share your iTunes library contents with your friends across the...
- Digital video editing system.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Simplify Media 18.104.22.1680
Can listen to basically your full music library.
There are times where it can take some time for you to get to listen to your music.
Good. Very good overall. But now currently (6/10/2011) Simplify Media is down. Been down for some unknown reason/s, so far. Hope it will be running back up soon.