CNET Editors' review
Although it hasn't exactly exploded into the mainstream music-listening population at large, the music-sharing application Simplify Media has a growing network of fans. When you install it, you must choose synchronization with with either Winamp or iTunes playlists, although you can change your preferred program after installation.
After setup and a restart of your music player, you'll see a "Simplify Media" selection in your left-hand navigation. Expand it, and you can browse all of the music available from you and your friends. A separately running Simplify Media application accessible via the Windows taskbar lets you add other friends with Simplify Media accounts and customize the program settings.
Claims of resource hogging and installation headaches are somewhat valid. Installing Simplify Media on Windows will likely require Apple Bonjour. It's included in the Simplify Media installation, but the slow download and subsequent install grated the nerves. Running Simplify Media, Winamp, and Simplify Media Peer--the process that streams media from your friends or remote computers--together uses more than a fair chunk of RAM.
Make no mistake with the minor quibbles: Simplify Media is an excellent and simple method of sharing music collections with friends or yourself in remote locations. We would like to see future versions become even more stable, as well as adding compatibility with other jukebox players.
From Simplify Media:
Simplify Media software connects you through iTunes, iPhoto and Front Row. Enjoy music and photos from home while at work or school. Explore friends' media collections while they are online. Free No hidden charges. No spyware. Easy Set-up is fast. No need to upload files to a website. Safe Only your group can access what you are sharing, and no one can see your other files. Universal Connect iTunes and iPhoto and PCs, Macs, Linux, iPhone and iPod touch without worrying about music or photo format.
Version 2.5 adds support for your iPhoto library, browsing remotely by Albums, Events and Faces; Seeing your geo-located images on a map with the Simplify Viewer.
What's new in this version: improve stability, increase performance and decrease CPU usage.
More Products to Consider
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Remote control to manage Macs.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Build diagrams, family trees, flow charts, and org charts.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Outline and organize thoughts, tasks, and projects.
- Audio editor/recorder with effects, mixing, & unlimited undo.
- Versatile DJ music mixer.
- For iPod shuffle 1st & 2nd generation.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Simplify Media 22.214.171.1240
Can listen to basically your full music library.
There are times where it can take some time for you to get to listen to your music.
Good. Very good overall. But now currently (6/10/2011) Simplify Media is down. Been down for some unknown reason/s, so far. Hope it will be running back up soon.