CNET Editors' review
Imagine you just got a shiny new Mac computer, and you'd like to transfer all your music from your MP3 player to it. Unfortunately, iTunes can't do that, but that is where Senuti comes into the picture. The application's simple interface will handle the process and copy your files within minutes.
While Senuti's basic interface is easy enough to follow, it's a good idea to take a few minutes to read the online Getting Started guide to make sure you don't inadvertently erase your iPod's library. For the record, selecting "Prevent auto-syncing with iTunes" should keep you from erasing your favorite music from your portable device. Also, the company says on its site that the program "is not required or intended for transferring Apple iTunes purchases," so keep that in mind.
We liked Senuti's simple interface, but it can be frustrating for advanced users with more complex needs. However, beginners will enjoy using the app, which aims to do one thing: move your music files from your iDevice to your Mac. After you connect your iPod or iPhone to the computer, Senuti marks the music files already in your iTunes library with a blue dot. This allows you to immediately spot which files are missing from your computer. After selecting the files, two available commands become active: Transfer or Stop. By default, the app will place the files into your iTunes Music library, but you can opt to copy them to another folder if needed. We were impressed by the copying speed, so if you need to back up your iPod fast, Senuti has got you covered.
During our testing we loved using Senuti, as the application does what it promises to do: back up music files in a speedy way. The trial version is limited to 30 days of free use or 1,000 songs.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Senuti 1.3b2.
From Whitney Young:
Senuti is a simple Mac OS X application for transferring songs from your iPod back to your computer. There are many good reasons that someone would have to transfer music from her iPod back to her computer. There are many good ways to do it, too. Senuti is the only alternative that will give you the power and convenience that you need, wrapped in an interface that is extremely easy to use, at a cost that you can't complain about. Lightning fast -- There's a little file on your iPod called the iTunesDB file. What does that mean to you? Nothing. What does that mean to me? Everything. Every bit of information on every song on your iPod is stored in this little file. Every bit of information on your playlists is stored in this file, too. It's how iTunes knows what's on your iPod. It's how your iPod knows what's there, too. There isn't a much faster way to figure out what's on your iPod. Finding Songs -- Senuti includes all of the built in options that one would expect to find songs. You can search and sort in any combination of ways that you want. That's not quite enough sometimes, though. Sometimes you might want to know if you're copying the right song. Know how it goes, but don't know if that title is quite right? Play it. That's right, Senuti will play songs directly off of your iPod. It can even double as a jukebox player for your Shuffle or any other iPod. Playlists -- Senuti not only reads the playlists that you made on your iPod, but it allows you to transfer them back to your computer as well. A simple drag and drop action within the application will not only copy songs to your computer and and add them to iTunes, but it will make a new playlist with the same name and add all of the songs to that list. Seamless Integration -- Adding songs to your computer, you're probably going to add them to iTunes right after that, right? What if you didn't have to, wouldn't that be great? Well you don't have to. Senuti will do all of the work for you. What work you want it to do is up to you. You can have songs added to iTunes if you want. You can have all of your music organized into folders by artist and album, too. The option's yours.
What's new in this version:
- Bug fixes and other improvements
- Dropped support for PPC on Mac OS X 10.5
More Products to Consider
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Rip audio CDs, convert audio, burn and copy CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray ...
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Download any track from SoundCloud with a single click.
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Compile, copy, and burn data discs, audio CDs, video DVDs, and ...
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 60 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content